9.17.2005

people who blog

You can't see me. I'm doing the "Happy Happy Joy Joy" dance. Here's why...

When I first started blogging, there were few other people I knew who had one. My brother was the first one I knew to enter the world of blogging, and he's the one who got me hooked. I remember when he first started it, I was like, "GEEK! GEEK!" endlessly taunting him. I did. I thought it was geeky. However, the more I read his blog, the more I wanted one. When I decided to take a road trip out to California, I thought it'd be cool to keep a journal along the way. Keeping a journal was not a new discipline for me, and a road trip would definitely provide good material. But then I thought, hey, what if people could travel with me? What if I could write from the road what kinds of things I was doing, thinking about, and experiencing for anyone who wanted to read it. That's when I decided to start my blog... and the phenomenon has stuck.

Here I am, like, a year and a half later, still blogging. I'm not sure why I'm so addicted to the idea. I know that when I started to write for Relevant Magazine and it seemed more people were reading my blog, I got even more excited to write.

But I want to spend a minute on talking about OTHER people who blog. Like I said, when I first started this whole thing, my brother was pretty much the only person I knew who had one. Shortly thereafter, he had a few links to other people who had blogs. I spent much of my time reading my brother's blog, and his friend's blogs. No one in my sphere of friends had one, so I spent most of my time reading theirs. Slowly but surely, more and more of my friends got into the idea of having a blog. One by one, they started to leave behind the same train of thought that I had about it being geeky, and give into the idea that it is an awesome creative outlet.

All of that being said, I would just like to welcome all of my friends who have recently decided that blogging would be a cool thing to do. I would just like to say that I still think this whole thing is a stellar idea, even though there are still some kinks to be worked out. I would just like to say, I love reading what is going on in each one of your lives.

Can I get a WOOT for people who blog?

4 comments:

Katy said...

Uh, OK ... Woot! I can't believe I've been blogging almost a year. I'm always slow to jump onto the bandwagon of technological advances (if you can call it that) ... it all started back when my family was the last on the block to get a VCR. Anyway, it's been fun reading and writing them, so here's to years of blogging to come ...

Jerica said...

Just because you bug people until they finally start, doesn't mean that this blog phenomenon is all because of you, Tory.

heh. heh.

Tom said...

I have been blogging for a few years but finally have stuck to one or two blogs. I was notorius for doing a blog for a while then creating a new one walking away from the other ones.

The thing I like about it, it makies me want to go back and make a book out of it. I know there are more than plenty of entries.....ever thought about doing something like that?

Parke said...

definitely a very cool outlet. looking forward to seeing how video blogging takes off. there are some great free resources out there now that make it easy.