9.06.2005

clean-out

It's that time of year... Well, maybe not to the rest of the world, but in the life of the Wisconsin Dolan's, it sure is. Clean-out time. And not just of all the junk that has accumulated within our house, but other ways as well. As I'm sitting here, taking a little break (ok, procrastinating a little) on gutting out my room - a much needed process - in preparation for a fresh coat of primer and paint next weekend, I've been thinking about a "clean-out" in other areas too. My dad is going to do a detox thing, where all he eats are raw fruits and vegetables, along with supplimental shakes. He is doing that for 21 days to get out all of the horrible chemicals we put into our bodies every day. My mom has to change what she eats as well, so the Dolan pantry/refridgerator/cupboard will look drastically different in the next few weeks - lots of natural and organic foods. And I gladly welcome the change. A "clean-out" of my system is well needed, and welcomed.

I'm also trying to do a "clean-out" in a leisure sense. Didn't know you had a leisure sense, did you? Who knows why I just typed that... It just came out. Anyway, I have gotten into a nasty habit of watching way too much television, and spending way too much time on my computer just futzing around. I'm not saying that either of these in and of themselves are wrong in any way, but too much of anything is not a good thing. So, as school begins today which kind of feels like a "new beginning" - new class schedule, new work schedule - I am going to try to do a "clean-out" of things that I don't necessarily feel are a good use of all my time. Oh, every so often is fine. I mean, I have to do the usual blogging and check my email every so often. And of course, there's at least one or two TV shows I'll want to watch (24 in January can't come soon enough!). But I'm hoping to spend my time doing the things I love and should be doing, but am just not disciplined enough to get off my lazy butt an do.

We shall see where this new "clean-out" leads me. I'm hoping it'll prove a significant change, and hopefully a more productive semester. I'm excited for a new schedule and the changes ahead.

2 comments:

Steph Stanger said...

I cleaned out malachys closet today!

Parke said...

It's definitely a valuable practice. Yesterday and today I'm cleaning out some overdue work by intentionally cutting out one or two distractions and shuffling my workspace. It does some real good. I have to think this is the way life is supposed to be, continually making another push to do better.