9.04.2005

fancies

I feel as though I'm being a jerk for not writing about the Katrina disaster at all... My thoughts are still really jumbled about it, still processing, and to be honest, I have had so many different discussions, thoughts, and news stories thrown at me that I'm not even sure I could regurgitate something worthwhile at this point.

So instead, I shall start the first of the many thoughts I had while traveling out east this past week - that which I fancy. Two things in particular: children's bookstores and photography.

Children's bookstores... There aren't many that exist, at least none where I live. While in Cambridge, MA I came across this amazing Curious George themed children's bookstore. It was amazing! I fell in love with it instantly. It had books galore, toys, stuffed animals, little corners with fun carpets for little kids to sit on while they read, and a staircase that lead to downstairs treasures for the older kiddies. I could have spent hours in there. So many books and toys to look at! I found an amazing copy of the entire Chronicles of Narnia, and tons of books that I read as a kid like Ramona Quimby books, and Nancy Drew (but alas, no Bobsey Twins). Needless to say, this place was sheer heaven... Now, this may sound weird to some of you who don't know me. I don't know why, maybe it's my love for little kids and the fact that I love to watch them read, learn, imagine, and dream... Maybe it's because I've always been a sucker for cartoons and moral stories, but there is something so wonderful about children's books, and even more wonderful when they're all in once place. While I was in this bookstore, I had such a great desire to open up my own children's bookstore. This is not a new idea - I've shared it with a few people before. But this time, I even said, "Maybe I should start to take some business classes..." If you know even a little bit about me, this is HUGE because I'm not a business person in the slightest. But I'd consider becoming one if it meant I could open up my own bookstore... How amazing would that be?

Photography... While on vacation, one typically partakes in taking pictures of where one stays. I too participated in this vacation tradition, only, I didn't want to document where I was as much as I wanted to get some really artistic shots. Granted, I did not get as many as I would have hoped, but I got a few that I was pretty excited about. Over the past couple of days, I've been checking out some different Flickr accounts. I belong to a group of people who are readers of Relevant Magazine, and I must say, I'm totally impressed with their photography skills. So amazing... Some of them are absolutely genious. I have become greatly inspired to take better pictures... The one thing I'm struggling with though is how to find great subjects. Some of these pictures, I think to myself "I'm never in a situation where I could take a picture like that." For instance, I don't have any surfer friends, I don't know anyone who teaches ballet or has a little girl taking ballet, I don't know any good graffiti spots... I know, I know... I just have to hunt a little more, and become a little bit more bold with taking pictures. But I must say that over the past few days, I have become TOTALLY inspired to take more pictures, and to learn how to be a better photographer. Any tips would be greatly welcomed.

Those are my current "fancies". Just thought I'd share them for the moment... More thoughts to come in the next few days.

1 comment:

viclyn said...

If you are just patient, you could come photograph our little girl! I am sure she will love you! I am totally with you on wanting to take artistic shots. Cory and I are actually hoping to take all of the pictures of our girl ourselves - ya know the ones at 3, 6, 9 months and all that jazz. You could come help us out! I am sure she would be a great object! :)