9.24.2005

3ps

My brother and sister-in-law were home the past couple of days. My dad had to go into the hospital and so they came home just to "check in" on things. However, the couple days they were here proved for some very interesting conversation about purgatory, personality, and passion.

Purgatory. I know, that sounds like a weird conversation topic given the fact that I'm Protestant. However, the conversation revolved the topic of the show Lost. I'm not sure how many of you watch Lost, but it is a new found favorite with the Illinois Dolans, and I'm a bit of a fan myself. I initially started watching it because of Dominic Monaghan (I know, I'm a geek - don't mock me). Initially, I was pretty turned off by the show - felt it was pretty cheesy. However, as the season went on, I slowly regained an intrigue, and started watching again. The season finale left me one frustrated girl. My brother and his wife watched the DVDs just recently, and are completely hooked. So, while they were home, we talked about the different theories that are floating about, and we landed upon the theory that the survivors on the island are actually in purgatory. We don't necessarily think this is the true theory, but we decided to discuss the possibilities of it. It lead for some VERY interesting conversation, only for us to ask "Wait, is that a part of purgatory?" quite often. I find it funny that a lot of our conversation revolved around Lost and this idea of purgatory... But we're hooked, that's for sure... Kelly even has the Lost sting (like, the sound bite thing at the beginning of the show when showing the title) on his iPod. (Don't worry Drew, I haven't crossed into "Lost is better than 24" land).

Personality. Lots of conversation about the enneagram test - a personality test to help understand what your own personality is, as well as how to interact with other personalities. Has anyone else out there taken it? My brother's friend John was the one who originally directed me towards the enneagram test in order to better figure out some relationship stuff, but now my brother and sister-in-law are quite into it, reading a lot, and trying to learn as much as possible about the interworkings of different personalities. I'm a 2, for those of you who care. If you read the description, it's pretty fitting.
I'm not going to put it all here, but one of the sites I went to where you can take a free test is www.9types.com. It's a little different than the book my sister-in-law has on it, but it's still pretty close.

Passions. My sister-in-law and I got into an interesting conversation about what the next year will hold for each of us. She's looking for a new field of work/new job, and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do once I graduate. I told her that I have been asked quite a bit lately "If you could do anything in the world you wanted - no limitations - what would it be?" Obviously, I really want to be a wife and mom. However, if we're talking career here, I told her (as well as all the other people who have asked me) that I would like to open a children's booksore. I told her I have NO IDEA how to go about doing that, but it incorporates SO many of my passions - kids, literature, art, etc. I have so may ideas of what it would be like, and what I would do with it - but no idea where to start. She and I had an awesome conversation about the steps necessary to get to where you want to go. Even though I have no further ideas as to how I'm going to get there, she made it sound so possible. So who knows... 5 years from now, I may be known as "Tory Dolan - Bookstore Owner", not just "Tory Dolan - Girl who blogs about how much she'd like to open a bookstore."

Anyway, those were some of my thoughts over the past couple of days. I've actually had a TON more - especially about my dad and hurricane Rita, however, they're not the most uplifting thoughts so I thought I'd spare you and write about three things that I find really interesting right now.

Sorry this isn't the most exciting or witty post... They can't all be winners though now, can they?
Rock on until later, my friends.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are real sisters! I'm so proud of you and I believe in your dreams completely..I can't wait to have my candy store next to your bookstore.

love ya,
Ado

Katy said...

I hope your dad is OK Tory! This will be a hectic week for me with interviews and settling in, but I'll call you soon so we can get together and catch up in person :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tory!
I hope that your dad is O.K. I'll be praying for him.
I have confidence that you will be the next "Shop Girl"/Meg Ryan type character...only way cooler and much more real.
I love you!
Emily

Parke said...

A bookstore would definitely be a challenge, but doable. Keep exploring.

dbrown said...

Way to remain on the Bauer side of the Jack line.

I'm glad your dad is doing better.