9.20.2005

Bob Appreciation

I was sharing stories about one of my favorite Bobs. To the friend I was sharing with, I said, “Yeah, and he’s just one of a few really great Bobs.” She was unaware of just how many amazing Bobs there are in the world. I’m thinking maybe, just maybe, you have not thought of this either. If given time, you may be able to come up with a good list. But to help you with that process, and to spur you on towards your own “Bob Appreciation Day”, I will give you my list of “top Bobs”.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I will begin with one of my favorites – Bob Ross. He is the man who inspired this entire post (non-sense though it may be), and has inspired many across the globe to paint masterpieces. His painting skills are not limited to but strongly include mountains and trees. Mountains and trees. That is what I remember most about his paintings. Mountains and trees. And he had this sort of soothing voice as he instructed you how to paint mountains and trees. He made you feel like, you, yes you, could paint a masterpiece like his. I loved him. He was great. And that hair…

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Speaking of hair, we’ll move on to our next Bob. Bobcat Goldthwait. My first knowledge of him was watching The Police Academy 2, which we had taped off TV and I watched it over and over and over again. As a small child, his voice and quirky mannerisms made me laugh. As a grown adult, it makes me uncomfortable. However, I have fond memories of watching Police Academy 2, and therefore, he made the list.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Bob Barker. I watched The Price is Right constantly as a kid. My friend Leah and I were bound and determined to get on that show as adults. Granted, Bob has kind of a sketchy real-life character, but the guy I knew when I was little watching that show – he was amazing. He’d give you stuff. A washer and dryer. A car. A trip to Italy. All you had to do was answer his question correctly, and YOU WIN! How easy could that be? Yet people seemed so confused, and lost a lot. But he had compassion for them, and sent them on to spin the wheel for a second chance. Bob Barker was a friend to all…

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Speaking of friends to all – Bob Guiney. Now, you might all make fun of me for this one, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Bob Guiney. Yes, he pined for the Bachelorette. Yes, he kissed a boatload of girls when he became the Bachelor. No, neither of those situations worked out for him. And yes, he’s riding on the “reality show” success. But come on – that laugh? How can you not giggle when you hear him laugh? And he’s got a killer smile, you have to admit… Who knows, maybe I’m just a sucker for the curls and the dimples…

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Bob Saget. I’m talking Danny Tanner style here folks – another show (Full House) that was on the TV a bit when I was little… a show my mother wishes never existed. Anyway, Bob Saget amazes me, really he does. Do I think he’s an amazing actor? Not particularily. But this man has had his hand in so many projects, has quite the list of accomplishments, and seems to show up in so many different places. Plus, the guy is still doing stand up comedy which the Olsen Twins frequent on a regular basis – that’s gotta say something, right?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Speaking of accomplishments… This guy takes the cake. Bob Dylan. I’m not even sure what I can say about Bob Dylan. I’ve never really gotten into his music, but that man is pretty stinkin’ talented. He is one of the great “Bobs” of all time, and definitely deserved to be on this list.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Bob the Builder. I couldn’t forget him. What an adorable cartoon! Um, that’s basically the only reason he made the list… And, well, he builds things. That’s a definite qualifier…

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Last but definitely not least, Bob Sportsmonsfraggger. Who is Bob Sportsmonsfraggger, you ask? Well, even if you didn’t ask, I’m going to tell you. Bob is kind, has a passion for high school students, and even though he can be a tad creepy at times (ok, VERY creepy) he has a good heart and a good message. He brings us the truth of the Bible and encourages us in our walk with God by singing pop songs we all know and love, making it easier for us to know and understand the truths. Like, “Read My Bible One More Time” sung to Brittney Spears “Hit Me Baby One More Time”. He also tells us reasons to not have premarital sex. In the words of Bob, “I don’t want a baby, how ‘bout you? NO WAY!” A man who loves his mother, a man who survived malaria, and a man who can wear glasses without the lenses actually being in the frames – Bob is a true inspiration, and an example of how to live life. Thank you Bob, for everything you and everything you stand for (except your decisions regarding fashion).

There are many more “Bobs” that didn’t make this list, but are still important… I hope this has brought more Bobs to your attention on this here Bob Appreciation Day. So encourage your local Bob. (B. Sliw – I love you man – you rock, and I miss seeing you! I appreciate you on this Bob Appreciation Day). Rock on for the all Bobs we’ve come to know and love.

5 comments:

Jerica said...

I think there should be a Tory Appreciation Day. It would be for you, Tor; and Tore, Tory, Torie. Is that a band? Maybe I just made it up.

Bob Sagat is really scary now, I hear.

Unknown said...

that was hilarious! what a great post!

Anonymous said...

Ummm....what about Bob Sliwinski? He's the coolest!!! ;)

Tory Jane said...

I know Bob Sliwinski rocks *wink* I did indeed mention him at the end my post... I referred to him as B-Sliw.

Anonymous said...

yes, but you need a mug shot to really pay tribute ;)