9.11.2005

farmland

So, I'd like to say that I pride myself on being a city girl - typically, I love the city. I love the giant buildings, the craziness of all the people rushing around, the wall to wall stores and shops, all of the smells of a city, the access to just about anything that comes with being in a city, the different "sides" of a city (downtown side, artsy side, touristy side, business side) and lots of other things. I have never lived in a city, but someday, I would like to.

However, despite my love for the city and desire to be a part of one, I think there's a special place in my heart for farmland. I drove around for a while this afternoon as I had a lot of thinking to take care of. If you don't know me that well, know that about me. I think a lot. Too much at times. As I was doing this, I was driving all over the town I grew up in. I have lived here in Wisconsin, which is full of farms for almost my entire life. As I was driving today, I saw things that brought a smile to my face. Silly things that most people wouldn't think twice about, but for some reason, I found endearing. A house with clothes out on a clothes line. Fields of stalks. A really strange looking scarecrow. Wagons filled with pumpkins for sale. Cows roaming about. I don't know... It just felt so great driving around through this landscape. Granted, cities are pretty cool, but it doesn't have the same feel when it comes to driving through it as this sort of atmosphere...

So, maybe I'm a city girl. Maybe I'm a country girl. Maybe it just means that I find joys in each of those surroundings. It'll be interesting to see where I head though once I move out next spring/summer. The city sounds so exciting, yet there's something so comforting about surburbia. Who knows...

No comments: