1.29.2005

The Album Leaf



As you may have noticed, I've been talking quite a bit more about music lately. I guess when I go through periods where I'm struggling and working through something in my head, this is my form of retreat. I sink into what moves me a great deal, and that is typcially music.

I would like to tell you that the album "In A Safe Place" by The Album Leaf has arrived, and I'm so happy it did. The album is beautiful and haunting all in one. It's so great. I mentioned to you before that it reminded me a little bit of Sigur Ros. Well, I looked into the band a little to find out that CD was recorded in Iceland with the help of the lead singer/songwriter from Sigur Ros - hence, the influence. Also noted on the Album Leaf website was a bit of Brian Eno influence. But this album is seriously one of the best "chill out" albums I've heard in a while (next to Iron & Wine - but that's a different sort of chill out). It has haunting melodies with beats that give it a more positive swing. I'm terrible at describing music, as I don't have much of the terminology down, so here is how this album was discribed on the the website:

"Chillingly delicate and more pop-based than ever before, In a Safe Place masterfully negotiates the spaces between minimal electronic music and melancholy instrumental neo-rock."

If you're looking to pick up just a couple songs to sample, here are the couple that are my faves:
"Over the Pond" - includes vocals/samples by Jón þor Birgisson (Sigur Ros)
"Streamside" - on the OC soundtrack - good acoustic guitar music - again includes Jón þor Birgisson
"Another Day" - good melody, fun beats

Very very cool... I highly recommmend checking them out.
Yay for Iceland and all the cool music they produce.
I think I'm going to move to Iceland.

"And I wonder, wonder what it's like to be living in Iceland, Iceland..." - Sordid Humor

No comments: