7.04.2004

farenheit 9/11

Well, I have just returned from watching Farenheit 9/11. I wish that I had some great, and in depth report to give you. I don't. I went and saw it with two of my really good friends - a married couple - who are struggling with some of the same political questions that I am. I am still processing what I saw tonight. To be perfectly honest (and it's not too often I say this about movies), it was really hard for me to stomach. I loved Bowling for Columbine, but it didn't hit home for me. It wasn't personal. This movie was. For those of you who don't know, a good friend of mine was serving in Iraq with her two sisters who are twins. One of the twins was killed in action. And for some reason, this movie was SO hard to watch because of that. There was a part of me that wanted to believe everything that was in it...Have something to blame all of these horrendous acts on. And there was part of me that felt like this movie didn't serve justice to those who served and died in the war. I do believe Michael Moore is a brilliant film maker. He has a way of storytelling and putting film together that is wickedly smart and very creative. Do I agree with his tactic? Do I agree with what he says? Do I like what he does? Not particularily...But I have to give him credit as a film maker. And I think that this movie (as well as his other movies) does serve a good purpose - despite all the skuttlebutt surrounding it. This movie makes people think - an art sometimes I think we've lost skill in. I know I personally have fallen into the trap many times of just taking things as they come - face value - no questions asked. Obviously, this was much more so the case when I was younger. I didn't really know any better. However, as I got older and began to learn more, the more I became a skeptic, and started questioning everything. The thing I think that bothers me about the whole Farenheit 9/11 thing, is it comes at a time where EVERYONE seems to be in that boat - very skeptical of everything they've been told, only to fall into the Michael Moore trap, and believe a lot of what he presents. Does he present any truth? Possibly. Is he manipulative. Very likely. Is he playing the same game that everyone else in the industry is playing? I believe so...So how do I feel overall about the movie Farenheit 9/11 - I have absolutely no clue.

No comments: