1.30.2006

parade


Sitting below my window with the shade partially drawn, I can’t help but stare at the clouds as they travel across the winter sky. They’re not imaginative today. No shapes. No ducks. No cars. No dinosaurs. Just gray masses with soft, uneven edges. But they’re going somewhere. East, I think. I wouldn’t mind going east myself – southeast rather. Strap a bag to my back, take off, and head to somewhere warm. Wisconsin doesn’t offer the most enticing weather this time of year. But for some reason, I’m fixated on these clouds as they continue their eastward march. Maybe it is for the simple fact that they’re moving. They aren’t waiting for anything, but moving ahead to bigger and better things. Maybe they will provide shade for someone. Maybe they’ll provide rain for dry lands. Or maybe they’ll tickle some little kid’s imagination. I don’t know why they’ve captured my fancy today, but I could sit for hours and watch them. It’s been a long time since I’ve laid out on my back and watched the clouds dance by. I’ll have to tuck that idea away for a warmer day. But I’m enjoying the cloud parade today. I wish I could join them in the parade. I will instead be content to watch them continue on their way. On a day where the snow covered trees are not welcoming, the cold wind offers no warmth, and the sun is in hiding, the clouds have come through for me. Brilliant.

(photo taken by elysium at www.sxc.hu)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup - that was cheesy
;)