1.24.2006

words

Words can be a powerful thing - so can the lack of words. I am realizing more and more how vitally important word precision is, and how easily communication can get screwed up. It’s so crazy how easily it gets all jumbled up… how often I communicate something so differently than I had hoped.

Since I was little, I have always felt more comfortable with written communication. Ask my parents. They have great stories from when I was a kid. I would be angry about something, have hurt feelings, or just be unhappy for whatever reason. Instead of crying or screaming about it, I simply shut up. I know, some of you may laugh to know this about me as it takes a great deal of effort to shut me up these days, but when I was young, I didn’t really communicate much. I never really expressed how I was feeling about anything. Sure, I had my moments of laughter and moments of tears, but for the most part, I kept quiet. I have theories as to why that might have been the case, but that’s beside the point. Communication was not a regular practice of mine. However, I did have periods where it was imperative that I let my parents know what was going on in my head and heart. My method? I would write a letter, and set it on their bed roughly two weeks after the fact. For whatever reason, I just didn’t want to “talk” about it. Writing felt so much more natural, and I relied heavily on that method of communication.

Even to this day, I rely much more on written communication that I do verbal communication. Part of that may be due to the fact that I’m an internal processor. As an internal processor, writing is the perfect form of communication because I can sit and think about what I want to write and take my time with it. It doesn’t require the immediacy that verbal processing/communication does. However, I’ve realized that my communication via writing no longer warrants this sort of methodical, diligent thought process. I’ve found that with the convenience of email, the conversational invention of instant messaging, not to mention fairly quick typing skills, I have found that more often than not, I type my thoughts WAY too quickly, and do not give it the thought it deserves. Sadly, I do this with email quite frequently. I will receive an email from a friend, or be thinking about something and sit down to write an email. I simply type it up and hit send without even performing a spell check or reading it over to make sure it’s coherent and exactly what I want to say. With it being the first day of school, and thinking about all the papers I will have to write, I started to think more about the energy that goes into writing papers vs. the energy that goes into writing emails/blog posts/instant messages. Sometimes, if I am not confident in my ability to write a paper, and I really don’t care about it, I’ll sit down, write whatever comes to mind, and carelessly hand it in without looking over it a second time to see that it makes sense. I’ll hand it in blindly. However, if I was writing a paper worth a good portion of my grade, or I felt was really important, I would definitely spend more time on it. I was thinking about the effort I put into my Shakespeare paper last semester. Granted, different elements of the process were required by my professor, but I spent a tremendous amount of time on that paper. I went to the library, I scoured the internet, I took notes, I created an outline, I wrote a rough draft, I revised that rough draft, and wrote a final paper – clear in focus and clear of errors. I began to think about the emails I send, the posts I write, and the instant messages I send. How much time do I spend making sure it reflects exactly what is in my heart? How often to give attention to how it will be received? How often to I write out of unprocessed emotion? The answer to those questions is pretty pathetic… The sad thing is that I then spend so much energy worrying about whether or not it was received the way I had hoped, or making apologies for not communicating clearly. I use the very energy I should have used while writing in the first place.

Today I felt challenged. I felt challenged to spend more time making sure that what I’m communicating is exactly what I want to communicate. I felt challenged to think about the importance of what I’m writing, and whether or not it is necessary. Did I really need to send that email? Should I really say that over instant messenger, or should I save those precious words for an “in-person” interaction? I’m not promising anything… I’m sure I will still have crazy rants about how much I love surfing, how much I hate clowns, and how frightened I am of my Eastern European Film class! I’m sure I’ll still have lame late night instant message conversations where I’ll wake up the next morning and ask myself, “Why in the world did I say that?” However, I’m hoping to work on not be so negligent in my writing. I’m hoping to be more diligent, and do my research. I’m hoping that when I write something, I can set it aside for a period of time, come back to it, and re-evaluate it’s worth. I want to mean what I say the first time, not make excuses for it after the fact. Words are so precious. They’re not to be taken lightly. And I’m hoping that I can more strongly reflect that in the days to come.

With that being said, I need to go back and proof read this before I post it.

(photo courtesy of criswatk at www.sxc.hu)

24 comments:

~A4O~ said...

Check out my blog when you get a chance. It has over 32 poems(dont just read the first story, get to the bottom of my page), some with audio. Thanks, Mike.......... A.K.A. The Scribe

Check out my poem entitled "Words"

www.fabelstales.blogspot.com/

I like your post....

Anonymous said...

Do you find it ironic that you confess to talking too much in an extreeeeeeeeemely long post?

Anonymous said...

You are quite the wordsmith.

3

Anonymous said...

If, by wordsmith, you mean that she uses a lot of them, then yes, she's a wordsmith.

Conservation of words and accuracy wouldn't be a bad target for which to aim.

Tory Jane said...

Signing one's name wouldn't be a bad target either...

Anonymous said...

No, I meant I think she uses them quite well.

3

Anonymous said...

i had trouble sleeping yesterday so i read your *tidbits* entry and it worked like a champ!

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight: as long as I'm kissing your ass with empty compliments like "you're such a wordsmith," that's ok to retain anonymity. However, any other comments are unwelcome. Makes perfect sense.

Anonymous said...

well well well

Is seems that somebody is forcing you to read this blog.

Perhaps they are holding a gun to your throat? Perhaps that have duct tapped your head to the screen?

Most people, when they do not like reading something, stop. But obviously you are being asked to do something against your will. You have my pity.

These are dangerous times. I wonder if something like this falls under the “War on Terror” thing?

Anonymous said...

so anonymous, do you make every attempt at writing like a retarded 5th grader or are you just naturally that gifted at screwing up the english language? If you're going to make an effort to be glib, try not thinking so hard about the words and/or do as was suggested: spell check. Gun to the throat? Interesting. And all this time I thought it was to your head. "That?" "Tapped?" Tory, my condolences. Your literary "goon squad" is too much. Maybe you could assist "Corky the Anonymous" with your spiritual gift of wordsmithing. Anonymous: well done, monkey, well done. Do you type with your fists?

Tory Jane said...

I'm slightly intrigued by the exchange in comments, especially regarding the topic to which they are being posted.

As anonymous #3 noticed, there was more than one anonymous comment, which I read all at the same time. My comment was directed to all three... And it was supposed to be jovial... But I must say, it is nice to know who's leaving the comments...

I find it interesting that my blog has been pretty quiet until just recently, and suddenly, there's a burst of anonymous comments. Wonder why that is...

Whatever the case... I appreciate the fact that you read it - whether you like what I wrote or not. I love thought exchange.

Anonymous said...

Sorrry I made you angerey. I hope one day you get over it and move on.

Anonymous said...

Wen u lern tu spel, ill b ovr it.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad. You had me worried.

If your still upset later, post your address and we all can send in a dollar for the anger management classes.

Anonymous said...

getting better, anonymous. Pretty soon, we can have "grown up" conversation. You almost did it ('your' is a possessive pronominal adjective meaning of, or belonging to. Also used with a title [Your Honor]. You mean to say " ...you are or you're"). Keep trying Corky. "Your" almost to 7th grade.

Anonymous said...

I just hate what this world is doing to our relationship. Do you remember that sunny day where we ran hand in hand through that field of blooming flowers? Do you remember that trip we took to the UP in the fall to see the changing of the trees? Do you remember when you kissed me out in the middle of that thunderstorm with the rain soaking us both to the bone? Where has that love gone? Where I ask you.

I give up. I must look for a new love.

Tory Jane said...

this is slightly amusing... this lovely argument with oneself.

Anonymous said...

HEY HEY HEY. I'm the original anonymous. Don't group me together with that wannabee.

Anonymous said...

We argue for your favor, Tory. I am but here to amuse you. As for the other anonymous, plagiarism does not look good on you. But, hey, if you can't spell, it's going to have to work.

Anonymous said...

I guess we will have to split up the CD collection now? I call dibs on the Britney Spears disks.

Anonymous said...

you love thought exchange? oh my god i didnt think there was an actual "thought" anywhere in your writing. my mistake and apologies!

Anonymous said...

Hey wait! Plagiarism!? Are you saying that you have been running through flowered fields with somebody else!?

That’s it. We are definitely through!

Tory Jane said...

well, have we had enough fun yet?

Anonymous said...

I don't know about anonymous, but I am done. I shall search for a new soul mate that will not make fun of me in front of all of our friends, but lift me up as the wonderful person that I am. Such hateful words, hmm.

L, J, P, P, K, G, F, G & S-C