2.11.2006

driving


Alright folks... I've been MIA for a while...
No good excuses. Just busy.

However, I wanted to write about being the queen of driving. I will write something deeper (well, hopefully) within the next day or two... But for now, you get to hear my story about feeling like the queen of driving.

Let me preface this by saying that I've done a lot of driving in my 25 years of existence. Granted, my actual "driving" years are narrowed to roughly 10 years, yet I'd say I've gone lots of places during that span. I drove out to California one summer. Last fall I drove out to Massachusettes, then down to DC. Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Tennessee, Indianna... These are all states I've driven to. So why did I feel like the queen of driving today? Why when compared to California where I drove a total of 31 hours, does 7 hours in a car feel like so much more? Here's my story...

Every Friday, I commute down south to Illinois to work in the Sonlife Ministry offices in Elburn. It's a decent hike - 2.5 hours. I leave the house at 7:30 in order to get to work by 10. So, as usual, I left the house this morning and drove 2.5 hours to work. After work, I drove northeast to Waukegan to see my cousin's school fundraiser variety show. Mapquest told me it was an hour and a half. Chicago traffic and no "Milwaukee Avenue from the northbound direction" told me two and a half. After the show, I couldn't find a "southbound" exit for Chicago. Someone needs to talk to the tollway creator, and ask why there are places where only one direction ramp exists. Lame. After thinking I'd be smart and learn to get to the freeway a different way, and driving around for a half an hour, I figured I'd just hop on the northbound ramp, get off, and hop back on the southbound ramp. An hour and fifteen minutes later, I was back in Elburn.

The reason why I find this so strange is I spent nearly 7 hours in the car, and didn't get much further than 95 miles away from home. Tomorrow will be interesting as well. Drive from Elburn to Wheaton for breakfast, Wheaton to Schaumburg for lunch, Schaumburg to West Dundee for afternoon coffee with another friend, West Dundee to Elgin to babysit the most awesome Angelo Novelli, and Elgin back to Elburn to crash! Sorry for those of you who aren't familiar with Illinois - I'm sure I just bored you with a whole bunch of random places. Oh and then Sunday, dinner with a friend in Schaumburg again. CRAZINESS! Seriously, despite the fact that I've driven all the way across the country, today felt like an unbelievable amount of driving, without really getting anywhere.

But I had a blast, and am stoked about tomorrow, so it's totally worth it... I'm just pooped. So with it being 12:36 now, I'm going to sleep.

I'll post something more worth reading tomorrow... Well, at least more interesting than this one.

(photo found here)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

blogging about driving. whats next? blogging about tying your shoes?

Anonymous said...

Yea, Chicago is weird with the exit ramps that you can't get back on again...

Anonymous said...

Angelo is amazing. He is at that wonderful age where all you need to do is look at him and he gives you that great smile.

3