6.13.2004

not too philosophical movie review

I'm not feeling too philosophical tonight...I was a bit earlier tonight, chatting it up with a couple friends after having seen the movie "Saved!". However, right now, I am just thinking about my most recent movie adventures, and thinking about how I haven't really been SUPER excited about anything. The list of movies that I have seen lately (thought I SHOULD say "catching up on" as some of them are a little old) goes as follows:

Documentaries:

Dogtown and Z-Boyz - ok, so I saw this a while back, but had to put a plug in for it. It's a great documentary on the beginning of skateboarding. Check it out!

Spellbound - An AWESOME documentary about eight kids who prepare and compete in the national spelling bee. A friend of my bro's recommended it to me, and I absolutely LOVED it! Such a great documentary...

Capturing the Friedmans - Really well put together, but quite disturbing. I wouldn't recommend it to most people, unless you're HUGE into documentary making...

The Weather Underground - a pretty interesting story about The Weathermen - a violent anti-war movement/group in the late sixties through the early eighties.

Other movies:

Big Fish - finally saw it. Too many people hyped it up too much for me. I enjoyed it. It was Tim Burton, how could I not. However, I wasn't as pleased as I imagined I would be. But I'd recommend it to most...it's an odd yet delightful film.

Hudsuker Proxy - Sorry Ben (the one who gave it to me) but it was a little too strange for me. I know so many people who loved this movie - I mean Tim Robbins, how could you not love him - but I'd be giving into peer pressure if I said I truly enjoyed this film.

Elephant - wow. I can't say enough about this movie. Actually, I can't say a whole lot. It's quite disturbing, but it's really really interesting. It's such a thought provoking movie (at least in my opinion) and as a film geek, there were SOOOO many elements to love as far as the way it was made.

Saved! - I don't really want to give any feedback on this one at this time. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I'll give an update soon on this one.

In the mean time, I'd love to hear what it is that you guys have seen and enjoyed...
Thanks for listening to my lengthy movie review. I'll see if I can't make them more frequent and more in depth in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Chris. I don't need yet another set of passwords and usernames... too lazy!

I saw Out of Time with Denzel Washington. I was unimpressed, but I didn't dislike it. It was sort of suspensful in that the actual situation was obviously resolved, but it was more a matter of HOW it would be resolved that led to tension. I was unable to cheer for Denzel's character, however.

Anonymous said...

Hey tory it is Peter. If you want to see a great documentery see Super Size Me. You wouldn't think that they could make a 90 min. movie about eating Mcee Dees for thirty days interesting, but they did. I will say that I loved the movie because it has changed the way and the frequency that I partake in fast food.