6.12.2004

life passion

I was thinking about why as a young adult, do I along with my peers, so struggle to figure out that infamous "what to do in life" type question. I began to think about the things I pursued and why I pursued them. A reason I stumbled upon was that I pursued things that I believed would get me places. What exactly those "places" were, I had not yet determined. People always say, "Well, if you want to get somewhere..." Where exactly is that somewhere? And why do I have to go there? I began to think about the passions I have in life, and whether or not I had incorporated them into the things I pursued. I thought quite a bit about my childhood. It's interesting that most of the things I'm passionate about now, I was passionate about as a child. I began to think about my creative partner in crime, Leah and all of our adventures as kid. The two I remember most fondly are Channel O and our attempt at building a hanglider. We had our own TV station - Channel O where we had created our very own "spoof" line up with shows that included "The B Team" (second string to the A Team), 14 Karat Gold (our hippie version of the dance show Solid Gold) and "Star Trek: The Lost Generation" (a hippie version of Star Trek - we had some sort of fascination with hippies). Then there was "Spook Theater" featuring "The Buzzsaw Mysteries". We could never quite come up with endings for our shows - so it usually ended in some sort of technical difficulty, my favorite being a fire on the set. We also tried to build a hanglider. We were always jumping off things with umbrellas and whatnot, and we thought we'd be the coolest kids in the world if we built our own hanglider. Of course, little wooden dowels and garbage bags don't really provide much support, but we made a valiant effort to say the least. I think now about how I've become so passionate about film, and how much I'm drawn to comedy. I think about how much I enjoy flying and the thought of sky diving and hangliding. There are other connections I can make with my childhood such as my love for California, my obsession with drawing and cartooning, etc. So often we hear about people, who in the middle of their life change careers because they realize a secret passion they had for something. I wonder how "secret" it really is. So often, when I have friends who say to me, "I have no idea what to do with my life..." I ask them what they enjoyed as a child. It's interesting the responses and the smiles that are expressed. Part of me wonders, if we only incorporated those things - whether it be through career or leisure, would we be happier creatures? I don't know the answer to that...It's also a very scary thought - to pursue something the world does not define as "successful or adult like", however, since when has the world had a grasp on what true happiness is? Just some thoughts I've had lately on incorporating things from childhood, our life passions, into our everyday life...

No comments: