6.16.2004

crazy blessings

Have you ever had someone in your life who just totally inspired you in one way, shape or form? Well, last night I had the priveledge of sitting in a room full of those people. I felt so utterly blessed to be in a room with the people I was with. I attended a meeting to brainstorm ideas for a youth conference that I volunteer at called SEMP. As I looked around the room, all 9 inviduals have in some way inspired me either spiritually or creatively. Like I said, the opportunity to be in a room with those people was a totally blessing. The amount of creative energy I walked away with, and my desire to search for my story within God's was so awesome. I also had the ability to meet a guy named Wes today of PictureShock Productions - a guy that my brother is currently working on a project with. Though I was only around Wes and my brother for a short time, it was so awesome to see their interaction, and their excitement about how God was going to use their creativity and new found friendship to bring glory to Himself. How cool to be a part of that.

And tonight at the Gathering (the young adult ministry I attend), the subject was grace. I seriously things I am severely handicapped when it comes to grasping this concept. While it was something I heard about and had ingrained in my head as a child, I don't think I have fully come to terms with what it means. I don't think I have even the slightest knowledge about what God's grace really looks like, and the kind of power it can have in my life. Craziness. I've started reading the book "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning so many times, but haven't made it all the way through. This book is deals with grace in such an amazing way. Brennan Manning has such great insights into God and his character. We were also talking tonight about "walking in the light". That so often, as Christians, we are taught to put on this facade of having everything all together. Christians don't struggle. They don't get anxious. They don't get depressed. How untrue is that? We are SO unlovely, and yet so often we try to hide it. In another book by B.M., one of my favorite quotes reads: "Living out of false self creates a compulsive desire to present a perfect image to the public so that everyone will admire us, and no one will know us." That's such a true statement. We are so concerned about being liked, rather than being known therefore allowing others to know Christ through us. I was thinking about how much I learned from these people I have worked with over the past few years at SEMP. How much I admire them. However, I knw them too. They don't present themselves falsely, but are on a journey for authenticity. Their imperfections have shown through at times...I began to think about myself, and how I might be able, through living a life "in the light" I may too teach & inspire...Isn't that what community is supposed to be about anyway?

No comments: