10.27.2005

L.M.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(photo taken from www.lorimckenna.com)

Recently, I have been slightly attracted to folk music. Ok, very much attracted to it. I'm not entirely sure where this desire came from. It's even borderline country which I swore I would never listen to (sorry for all you country lovers out there). There is something so magical about folk music. I really like the word magical. I use it a lot. But it just seemed so fitting for this post because I feel like folk music is just that - magical.

My current favorite is Lori McKenna. I know I've talked to quite a few of you about this obsession lately, but I seriously cannot get enough of her music. It's kind of weird how I stumbled upon her music. Every now and then, I read Zach Braff's blog, and he usually gives a music suggestion. One time he suggested "Beautiful Man" by Lori McKenna. I sampled it in iTunes at one point, but didn't purchase it. Instead, the first song I purchased of hers was a cover she did of Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees." Granted, I love that song, but her version isn't the greatest. Anyway, I then started to download some of her other stuff, and started to LOVE it. One of my favorite songs by her is "Stealing Kisses." I swear, if I ever get my say in a movie soundtrack, that song is going in it. CAMERON CROWE, IF YOU'RE READING THIS (hahahah... That's a funny thought) YOU NEED TO PUT THIS SONG IN YOUR NEXT MOVIE! The intro to the song seriously belongs in a movie! Other songs I have by her are "It's Easy When You Smile" and "Fireflies". I love Fireflies because it makes me think of being a kid, which of course, as most of you know, I rather enjoy. I love childlike things, and childhood daydreams. And this song is just that. Here's the song:

Fireflies
By Lori McKenna

Before you met me I was a fairy princess
I caught frogs, and called them prince
And made myself a queen
And before you knew me I traveled around the world
And I slept in castles, and fell in love
Because I was taught to dream

I found mayonnaise bottles,
And poked holes in the top
To capture Tinkerbell
And they were just fireflies
To the untrained eye
But I could always tell

Caused I believe in fairy tales
And dreamer's dreams like bed sheet sails
And I believe in Peter Pan
And miracles
And anything I can to get by
And fireflies

Now before I grew up I saw you on a cloud
And I could bless myself
In your name
And patch you on your wings
And before I grew up I heard you whisper so loud
Well life is hard, and so is love child
Believe in all these things

I found mayonnaise bottles,
And poked holes in the top
To capture Tinkerbell
And they were just fireflies
To the untrained eye
But I could always tell

Caused I believe in fairy tales
And dreamer's dreams like bed sheet sails
And I believe in Peter Pan
And miracles
And anything I can to get by
And fireflies

Before you met me, I was a fairy princess
I caught frogs and called them prince
And made myself a queen
And before you knew me
I traveled around the world
I slept in castles, and fell in love
Cause I was taught to dream...


Such a great song. So go, check her out. Lori McKenna. Yes, this is a shameless plug. But she's awesome. Check her out. If you like folk that is. And if you have any good suggestions for folk, let me know... I'm kinda new to the world, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 comments:

Parke said...

Yeah, there is some great folk music out there. All the honesty and emotional range of country without the twang and cowboy attitude. I get a taste for both occasionally, but I struggle to appreciate the lower average quality of playing in folk music. I'll have to see if Lori is one of the folks that give folk music a good name.

ps - your coding seems messed up a bit. i come here via RSS feed (see just one post when i first arrive) and i'm seeing comment code.

Tom said...

That's one thing I don't seem to get enough of, its Folk music. ITs one of the only forms of music that seem to connect with real life these days on things not shallow, and typically there are real instruments being played and they are not some pre-fabrication from the record studios. I do have a small thing for irish and celtic folk songs....that's when it gets good.