10.13.2005

new to the library

Well friends, as was decided a while ago, I’m keeping a music integration within my blog. Music is such a huge part of my life, so it’d feel kind of weird to leave it out of the normal mix of things. Maybe if it gets really bad, and I find that it’s ALL I can talk about, then I’ll start a separate music blog. But for now, the music stays here. So, rest assured Dave, you only have to check ONE blog, so that you won’t “get confused”.

Well, here's what's new to the music library:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Augustana – All The Stars and Boulevards
I purchased this album a few weeks ago. I had downloaded their song “Stars and Boulevards” a while back when iTunes was offering it as their free song of the week. I really liked the song, and decided to sample the rest of their stuff. I fell in love with the song “Boston”. I am a sucker for piano, and that song hit me just right. The rest of the album is pretty good… It’s not what I would consider to be musical genius, but it’s definitely a “feel good” listen.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
David Crowder Band– A Collision
This is my most recent acquistion. I’m still not sure I’ve digested it fully. The one thing I absolutely love about The David Crowder Band – their blend of musical sounds, and their ability to lead their listeners to the foot of the throne. Their ability to lead worship is astounding. However, at times, the lyrics are a bit strange – childlike, if you will. For instance, there is one song where he sings “Forever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever…” and keeps going on for quite some time. The song is a good, head bopping song – definitely gets the energy going. But at times, makes me feel like a high school student back in youth group. This album has sound bite interludes with things like whistling, speeches and phone conversations which makes the album seem uninterrupted, and the album works very much like a story. It has a great continuity throughout the album, beginning and ending with “the lark” (you’ll know what I’m talking about if you listen to it). Overall, I rather enjoy this album – but I’m still in the process of letting it settle.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Matisyahu – Live at Stubb’s
I have yet to pick up this album, but I’ve downloaded a couple songs from iTunes, and I’m pretty stoked about it. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Matisyahu, he’s a “Hassidic Reggae Superstar”, according to his website. Basically, it’s this reggae meets rap type music… and he’s Jewish, so it is definitely injected with that vibe. If you’re a fan of reggae, or even just interested in some really well done, artistic music, check him out. And for any of you who live in the Chi-town area, he’s playing at the Metro next month. Stellar.

Ok, that’s all for now… More music musings to come in the near future. Maybe I’ll post a new playlist (and no, Chris, it probably won’t include Alice).

Rock on my friends.

No comments: