11.07.2005

being a girl

Being a girl.

I've had a lot of thoughts about this as of late. I know, that sounds weird. I've been a girl for over 25 years, you think I'd be used to the idea by now. But I guess you could say that I've always wondered about gender and the roles of gender, and it's been on my mind a lot lately. I'm not sure if it's because two of my five classes focus a lot on gender roles, if it's because that maternal instinct thing has been creeping in a ton, making it really hard to subdue the deep desire to get married and have a family, if it's because I find myself submersed in a world of interest that is typically dominated by men (music & film) or if it's something subconscious, that I'm not even aware of... But for whatever reason, I've been thinking about gender, femininity and my role as a female.

I'll apologize now for any male readers who are like, "What? I don't want read about femininity!"

This past weekend, I was contracted out (that still sounds so funny to me) by Imago Media (my brother's production company) to work at a conference down in Springfield, IL. I have worked as a part of the production team for a youth conference for the past four summers, and am pretty familiar with doing the CGs for worship. I am pretty familiar with the program Keynote, which is why they asked me to go along. However, I really struggled while we were there. Here I was, one of the only girls in the room (with the exception of 2 female union workers - but let's just say, they're not the most pleasant people you'd ever come across), toting around huge equipment cases, and feeling VERY unfeminine. Even my brother and I had a conversation on the way home about it. I said that there are often times where I feel like just letting a guy do something for me, even if I can do it myself, just so I feel more "girlie". Like, being incapable, weak, or soft are requirements for being a girl. My brother assured me this wasn't the case, but winding up cable snakes, pushing around 15 foot screen cases, and loading a Ryder truck don't exactly mirror the epitome of femininity, you know?

And then there's the whole music thing... I have yet to meet a girl who's nearly as obsessed with music as I am. I'm at least a little comforted in the area of film. I'm surrounded by female film students at school. However, I'm still stuck with being the only girl I know who's TOTALLY into music. A couple weeks ago, I was supposed to go to a Guster concert with my brother. He ended up being REALLY sick and couldn't go. I scrambled to try to find someone to go with, and the only people I could come up with who had even heard of Guster, were all guys. Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, except for the fact that all of my guy friends who are Guster fans have girlfriends or wives, making it a little awkward to take a trip down to Chicago with them. I ended up finding a girl friend of mine who just thought it'd be fun to go along, but it again awaked me to the fact that I feel very alone being female and a complete music junkie.

There are other areas were this is the case too - where I worry if I'm not "girlie" enough. Sometimes I wonder if that's why I've only dated one person in my entire life - I'm not girlie enough, or I don't fit some sort of "girlie" mold like I'm supposed to. Sometimes I wonder if that's what's "wrong" with me. And yet, I have to believe that the stereotypes that we're fed through the media of what a "woman" is, or what true femininity is, is completely skewed, horribly innaccurate, and almost impossible to achieve. Proverbs 31 supposedly gives such great examples of what a "woman of God" is supposed to be... And yet, I still struggle with the everday descriptions that we're handed. I struggle with feeling like I don't completely fit the mold, and that everyone around me knows it and is aware of it. I don't by any means want to make it sound like I'm a tomboy - I'm really not. I had my days of being a tomboy when I was younger. I do however, definitely have some very girlie traits: though I don't necessarily sport it, I love fashion and learning about fashion, I can't wait to be a wife and mom, and pray every day that I will be blessed with both those positions, I have an undeniable love for animals (real and stuffed... I just had to part with two dozen stuffed animals. It was a sad day. Doesn't get more girlie than that.), I rather enjoy pink, bubble baths, writing notes, watching chick flicks, and of course, having a good cry.

However, it's just weird when I have those moments where I feel as if I'm breaking some sort of female code because I live, eat, sleep, and breath music, or because I like to work on stage crews, or because I'm into video/graphics stuff, or because I like to watch shows with my dad like Myth Busters, Monster Garage, and Orange County Choppers. I've always thought it'd be fun to restore an old car. I like to watch sports. And I even like to play video games.

Does anyone else ever have those moments, and I'm not just talking about femininity - but where they feel like they're so outside of what society tells them they're supposed to be - how they're suppoed to act, what they're supposed to be interested in, what they're supposed to look like?

Or am I a lone duck on this one?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tori
It's me, Shelly. Do you even remember me? It's been so long since we chatted. I've been reading your blog for awhile, so sometimes it seems like a see you quite often! Anyway, Janine, Kathy, Sue and me are all reading the book "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge. You might find it interesting. Better yet, join us and read and discuss it with us - we meet most Monday nights at my house. Give me a call. - Shelly

viclyn said...

You are NOT a lone duck on this one. I too have struggled with the feminine side of what I am supposed to be. I think it's great that you love music, carry sound equipment, and watch "boy" shows. I think it makes you more than a "girl" - it makes you a whole person. You are going to be an amazing wife and mother because you are more than just a girl. My mom called it being a "lady" - someone who takes interest in more than herself (and what society deems appropriate for her gender) while still remaining true to herself, even if that means toting heavy stuff and doing "ungirlie" things, but still loving fashion, the home, etc. I would take being a lady anyday over being the "girl" society tells me I should be.

I love you! See you next weekend I hope!

Unknown said...

Sister Friend -
You are not alone... at all.

I got a flat tire yesterday. I could have fixed it. I knew (for the most part) how. But I really wanted a dude to do it for me. And that's something I never would have admitted 5 years ago either!

We're all different. You like music and film. I like movies and books. That's why females are so complex - because we're all different and we offer something radically different that reflects God's image to the world. Who you are is JUST who you were intended to be. Make no qualms about it - you are the apple of His eye.

Take Shelly's advice... read CAPTIVATING. You - as a female - made the world complete when you were formed. God will rock your socks off thru that book... maybe your toenail polish, too!

Lea said...

Yeah, I have the same problem. My girl friends don't really have that much of an interest in going to concerts. And my husband is not really into most of the bands I like. I'm always trying to indoctrinate my friends into the bands I discover, lol. Hey did you see the latest Rolling Stone with Bono on the cover?