8.18.2005

freakish

why am I so intrigued, enthralled, energized, mystified, captured, whatever word you so choose to use, by something that is so utterly freakish and destructive?

I decided to seize the opportunity to write right now, in a moment of inspiration, of pure energy...

If you don't already know this about me, I'm obsessed with thunderstorms. Ever since I was a little kid when I had my very own weather station in a tree (of all places!), I've had this astounding fascination with storms. I'm not entirely sure why... While for most, sunshine brings happiness and joy, thunderstorms energize me. Seriously, I'm like a small child on Christmas morning when they come. Unfortunately we haven't had any really good storms this summer. And I'm totally bummin'.

I would, however, like to take this moment to make a disclaimer/apology. I realize that storms are immensely destructive, and have caused lots of families major heartache. That is the one thing that sickens me about my love for storms - that they are such destructive things. However, in some respects, I love it because it's only a small ounce of the amount of power that God has, and that to me is an absolutely fabulous thing to behold.

About 10 minutes ago, I wandered outside amidst a very eery setting. The sky was this mad shade of orange. I took a picture of it... of course, it doesn't really do it justice, but you can see a small sliver of blue through the crazy orange clouds. Within 10 minutes, the sky shifted to a midnight blue with purplish hues, about the fastest I have ever seen the sky change colors. Granted, I have seen storms roll in pretty fast, but that's just going from light to dark, cloudless to cloudy... these were completely different colors. WILD! Right now, it's very very still... I can only hear the hum of the power lines, and the slight chirping of crickets. Every so often, a quiet rumbling in the distance, and I can hear the weather station on the television downstairs... but these sounds are muted against the deafening silence that's outside right now. Usually, silence is so overlooked. But in a situation where you'd expect noise to abound, to have silence, it's unavoidably noticable.

My mom was watching the weather... I live in a city about 45 minutes outside of Madison, one of Wisconsin's largest cities. They were saying that a man at the local mall was picking up falling debris... It was mail, actual letters, that were addressed with Madison addresses. Baseball cards, bills, letters... all of these things, the storm had picked up and carried with it. I guess 12 houses were ruined about a half an hour from here. They were showing 6 different tornadoes on the radar.

And yet, all we have is silence.

I suppose I should be grateful. I mean, I could have been one of those people who's house was destroyed. I'm not wishing for that by any means. The wind has started to pick up a little, but still, now that it is dark, you would never know that there was a storm coming. It's silent, and still. I hope to see a great light show and the mighty roar of the sky, but that may just not happen. For now, I'll just continue to sit by my window, and let the pre-storm atmosphere linger in my room...

I'll try to post a picture later on this evening, and let you know if the storm ever unleashed it's wrath.

5 comments:

Katy said...

I was just telling my mom how much I miss storms, we never get them out here. Not sure if you like his style, but Chris Rice has a cool song about a storm called Wind and Spirit. "From the corners of creation comes the Father's holy breath, ridin' on a storm with tender fierceness, stirring my soul to holiness."

viclyn said...

I am totally with you about storms! To me they are the most amazing thing to behold in nature. We have only had one really good storm in Pekin this year - knocked out the power and a limb from one our trees. Sad thing though, I was in Peoria when it happened! I was so mad. I had just prayed the night before for God to give me a great storm and I missed it. Bummer. I hope there is at least one more good one left....

Tom said...

I freak people out too when they hear I love a good storm and when there is a Tornado I am all up in guard I love em, and I don't know why. A ggod thunderstorm is nice and soothing. A violent way of calming.

Especially one day back in my Jr year of high school a new word came to my weather vocabulary "super cell" where that day 55 tornadoes were in Middle Tennessee, very few actually touched down, and we got one of them. In fact I was in school taking a test and the tornado was literaly across the street from us. WHen it was over they made an announcement that, pretty much anyone who lived in the mall would need to find another way home as the roads were closed due to so much damage etc.

I could add another 2-3 paragraphs talking about that much. Since then, I want them to come and I want to see them to say I survived them, but I don't want anyone to get hurt or loose anything near and dear to them.....it's just so violently calming.

iggie said...

i too missed a storm that sort of devastated the surrounding areas. i was at work, noticed some black sky, and when i got off there was just light rain. but when i turn on the news all i hear about is flooding and tornadoes... wondered if i was in the same area. lol.

mikey said...

I liked your article on Relevant. and storms are cool too :)