3.29.2006

myspace


A while back, I had posted some ideas/thoughts about myspace. I was pretty hesitant about the whole thing, mostly because I had heard way too many creepy stories. However, as the past few months have passed, I have decided that as embarrassing as it is to admit this, I LOVE myspace. And here are two reasons why...

Music.

Over the past two months, I have come across NUMEROUS bands that I would never have found had it not been for myspace. The way it's set up is brilliant. Artists have their own pages, and then they also have a "pool" of friends which usually contains other artists. I have found so many different bands and musicians through this sort of "linking" system. Bands such as Jose Gonzalez (who's on Conan tonight - whoo hoo!), Iko, Northern Room, Hotel Lights, The Popular Belief, Trevorside, Scott Matthews, and Momentary. Some of them are just local bands trying to get heard, while others are indie bands trying to gain a larger fan base. Whatever the case is, I'm way excited for all the access to new music. For someone who's a bit of a music junkie, it's paradise.

Friends.

So, I was pretty stoked to reunite with some old friends... There were some from my old church, the one that I grew up in. Some friends from Heritage (where I attended for elementary and high school), as well as some friends from Judson (college). But I was so excited tonight when I was contacted by an old friend from Judson who I haven't talked to in a really long time. Out of all the people I met at Judson, he was probably one of the ones who impacted me the most, on multiple levels. I never imagined I'd get to hear from him again. But tonight, I logged on to myspace, and I noticed a "friend request" waiting to be viewed; I nearly peed my pants when I saw who it was. Not only do I get to "catch up" with this old friend, but I get to find out about his wife (who I always thought was such a cool girl) and his two beautiful daughters. How great is that?

So, while there's a part of me who wants to cower away from admitting that I am even ON myspace, I must say, it has proven to be great thing. Granted, I still think it's a little weird and a little creepy... but so many cool things have come from it.

So I will say it: My name is Tory. And I'm addicted to Myspace.

No comments: