2.06.2005

O.C. confuses emotion

Ok, so I'm not a fan of the O.C. I don't really have anything against the show, per se, but I don't ever watch it. However, can I tell you about my confused emotion towards the show. On the one hand, I love the fact that they are taking up and coming artists, and giving them air time. There are some AMAZING artists that have been played on the show, and have shown up on the soundtracks (which by the way, their on #4 - due out in March I believe). So, while I'm happy that they're taking unknowns and making them known, I'm also sad because now I feel like any time I come upon an artist that I REALLY dig, they have been a part of the O.C. music line up, and for that, I feel dumb. I mean, who wants to say, "So, I really like the band Keane." and some high school student who is obsessed with the O.C. says, "Yeah, that song by them was played when so and so kissed so and so!" I mean, I just don't want to have that kind of association either. You know? Many of my current favorite artists appear have had air time on the O.C. including: The Album Leaf, Turin Brakes, Ben Kweller, Jem, Jimmy Eat World, Keane, The Dandy Warhols, Death Cab for Cutie, and more...

My current music pick would be Flunk's album "Morning Star", which I just learned will have a song appearing on the O.C. #4 mix. This is SUCH a great CD. I was wandering through the store "Anthropology" when this song came on that just stuck in my head. I loved it! The song, I later found out, was "Blind My Mind". Well, because things are slow getting to the midwest, I learned that song has already been pretty big elsewhere, but I felt like I had stumbled upon something no on was aware of yet. Anyway, I still dig the CD... Check it out if you get a chance. It kind of makes me think of Mazzy Star, but with some funkier beats. Very cool. My favorite track thus far I think is "Spring To Kingdom Come" - however, that is subject to change the more I listen to the album.

Anyway, I guess this was just kind of a "thanks" to the O.C. for giving unknowns a chance, but also a "HEY! STOP IT!' to them as well - let us find our artists on our own! :) Hehehe... Acutally, I'm kind of grateful because I've found a lot I really dig because of them (Album Leaf being the most recent one).

But check out Flunk. Good stuff my friends, good stuff.

No comments: