11.01.2004

sigur ros & 10th grade poetry

Today was a Sigur Ros day...Just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't get the memo. Sigur Ros is an amazing, very mellow Icelandic band. If you've seen Vanilla Sky, some of their music is in that. I was driving home from school, a drown rat - cold and wet from having walked around campus in the rain, and I put Sigur Ros on my iPod and it just, well, fit. It was great. So I deemed today Sigur Ros day.

I also came across this poem that I wrote in 10th grade. It's obvious that I wrote in 10th grade (just sounds like a youngin' wrote it - I was like 15 I think), but I'm not sure I've written anything better since. That's kind of sad. And that isn't to say that it's "good", but it was the most honest thing I wrote at the time. And I thought that with the election being tomorrow, and everyone forcing their opinions on each other, it was kind of interesting that I came across it. So here goes:

The World Through His Window
And outsider,
One accused of accomplishing nothing, being nothing
Cast doubt on this so-called friend
Known to be a cruel and malevolent world
A place never known for peace
But rather prejudice and hate.
He knew it, lived it, dealt with it every day.
It was because God decided to use a different crayon
Than He had used on those around him
So now, the outsider used a different crayon,
One that showed his view of the world
And how he pictured himself.
He drew,
Drew the world the way it was meant to look
And he showed his picture.
The picture became the truth, it told the truth
But no one cared.
They kept drawing the world the way they wanted it to look
They dared not face reality
But the outsider drew,
Hoping they might one day see
The world through his window.

No comments: