8.10.2004

thoughts

I'm sitting at a Starbucks in Hawthorne, CA close to where I'm staying, and thought I'd post about some of the things I was thinking about - both serious and non-serious things alike...

Fisrt off - surfing. I went to see "Riding Giants" which is a surfing documentary about big wave riding. It was really good, but also kind of frightening some of the things these men attempted. Then, I went to the surfing competition in Huntington Beach. It was so awesome to watch, but at one point, Kelly Slater's foot slipped on the wax on his board, he fell, smacking his head on his board. He gave the thumbs up afteward to let everyone know he was ok, but it looked quite painful. So, last night was my first opportunity to go surfing while out here. Granted, the main reason why I decided against it was because I was TOTALLY wiped out. I was so tired yesterday - I zonked out about 10. So the thought of all the energy that goes into surfing didn't really appeal to me. Plus, I'd only be able to do it once, and then have to go home. That's no fun. So I opted not to do it. However, I have to say that part of me got scared to do it. Weird, eh? I usually get really stubborn when it comes to fear like that, and push through it and just do it. But yeah, kinda weird because I think after watching "Riding Giants" and seeing Kelly go down and stuff, I got a little freaked out.

Political unrest...I've thought a lot about politics since I've been here. Maybe it's because I've seen SO many advocates at store fronts trying to get people to register to vote. However, I was discussing with a friend yesterday that I can't remember a time where there has been such a battle over the presidential position. I was pretty young for the "controversial" presidents, and last year's election had it's typical battles, but nothing like this. I can't remember a time where there was such hatred on both sides for the other candidate. I know there's been a lot that's happened in our country within the past few years that have caused people to want to get involved, but are they really? How much do these people really know? I mean, I can't really talk as I do not know everything either. But I hear people talking about why they like Kerry so much, and part of me wonders, "Do they really think he'll implement his plans?" Same thing with Bush. Sometimes I think people get so swept away with what they want to hear, that they don't think about the reality of what might really happen. I was listening to some of Kerry's "plans" and thought to myself, "Is that really possible in his time?" He has these plans that will be carried out through the year 2020. What happens if his successor doesn't like his plan, and that was that? Dunno...I'm not saying we can't try to bring about change, but sometimes I think we get carried away with the romantic ideas that are presented. I myself hope to find out more, as I am currently undecided in my vote. I don't want to NOT vote just because I don't know who to vote for, you know?

Movies vs Music...Kind of funny. While on my trip out here, I've had the opportunity to meet a girl who works for Revolution Studios. She gets to help out on films (she actually worked on the Lord of the Rings Two Towers Extended Edition DVD). While talking to her, I realized how much I really want to work on movies. Even though I'm on the fence about how much I want to move out here, I really want to work on films. However, music has crept back in. It's always been there I suppose. It's weird because I probably know a bit more about music than I do about movies. I LOVE it when people want to learn about music and what I'm listening to. I could talk about it for hours. However, I could talk about movies for hours as well I suppose.

School...I've become satisfied with the route that I'm taking in school. It's one of those things where I desire to do so many things, but I think having an English degree (hopefully creating really strong writing skills - which I lack a bit right now) with a bunch of crazy film knowledge will be helpful if I decide to go into film, but also helpful for writing in whatever capacity. People are always looking for good writers, right? I was thinking a lot about what I wanted to do in school, and have decided that I'm going to continue with the same path that I'm doing...Which is good! I can't really afford to change again.

Well, these are some of my thoughts. They were more for me than anyone else. They were also kind of a stream of consciousness as I sit here having NOT had a cup of coffee yet! It's too hot to drink - darn it! Anyway, I'm about to head to Huntington Beach. I didn't get a chance to check out the surf museum when we were at the surf competition, so I'm headed back down there to check it out. Last day here today...Kinda sad about that, but I'm also anxious to get home. So yeah, Huntington Beach this morning, checking out a record store called Amoeba Records this afternoon, and then I'm going to a punk concert at a place called "The Gig" tonight - a friend of a friend of a friend (hehehehe) is in the band. Should be kinda fun.

I'm out.
Later.

No comments: