9.15.2006

teenagers


Today I finish the first week of my new job. Have no fear, I will not chronicle every day I work there... Just this first week. However, I felt like today might be a good "before and after" post. I don't have to be to work until 2pm today because I've already put in enough hours for the week. However, today is the day I've been nervous about all week.

I'm definitely the kind of person who much prefers somewhat structured social settings, especially when it comes to meeting new people. For me, if I am involved in some sort of activity, I like to have a "job" to do... I guess that's just how I'm wired. I thrive in situations where I can be working on something and interacting with people at the same time. But when it's a situation where I just have to "be" and not "do," I tend to struggle a bit more... and that's what today will bring me.
Enter: The teenagers

As a part of my job, I will be a part of what's called the Teen Drop-in Center. It serves as a place where teens can come to hang out in a safe place. The thing is, I don't really have a responsibility other than to just "hang out" with them.

Up until this point, I've pretty much been dealing with kids ages 5-8. Little kids are really easy for me to connect with, and so up until this point, it's been pretty fun meeting a bunch of them. However, jr. high and high school is a whole different ballgame. They're much more picky about who they choose to associate with, they have more expectations of people, and they don't always want an "old" person hanging around them, especially one who's supposed to be considered an "authority" figure.

Tonight, I will have to stretch way beyond my comfort zone, and I'm really nervous. You'd think with having worked with both jr. high and high school in the past, I'd be totally ready for this. But this is a different situation, on multiple levels. Theoretically, I know it probably won't be that bad. I'm even hoping it'll be a total blast. But there's still that part of me that fears the unknown and is nervous for the teenagers to arrive.

I will try to post again tonight AFTER the event... Hopefully, it'll be an entry telling of great interactions and amazing conversations.

(image found here.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh nellie!

Your a billion miles from old. I'm more than twice your age and they don't mind me. Well most of them.

I'm sure you will do fime.

M