10.30.2004

rain

There's something about rain that is so unbelievalby comforting...Am I the only one who thinks that, or are there others? A few thoughts came to me tonight as I sat and listened to the rain start to come down...

Judson Rain Dances: When I went to Judson College, I had a few roommates who used to love to play in the rain with me. My girl Sara, Emily and Kristy. The four of us were just a few rain rats, and would go running around outside in the rain (even if it was lightning outside - I know, not the smartest). We would run all over campus, and I remember one of my favorite spots to run around would be by the athletics building - in the parking lot. There were these HUGE pot holes that would fill up with water, and they made the best splashing grounds. There was also a huge dip in the grass in front of the chapel that created the best natural slip n' slide known to man. We would just run, throw ourselves down and glide across it over and over, getting grass all in our clothes and in places that aren't really mentionable. But it was the greatest feeling. Running around in the rain. Nothing mattered. It didn't matter if you were wet, had grass all over you, had a test to be studying for, or had had a horrible day. That rain washed away all of it. Everything seemed to magically disappear when it rained...

Some of the greatest songs incorporate rain: "Raining in Baltimore" - Counting Crows. Such a great song. "Why Does It Always Rain on Me?" - Travis. Such a fun song to bop your head to. "No Rain" by Blind Melon. That song has so many memories attached to it, it's not even funny. And all I keep thinking about is some little girl in a Bumblee Bee suit. I'd like to see the Bumble Bee Girl on one of those "Where are they now" shows. And "London Rain" by Heather Nova. Ok, I know that's a cheesy Dawson's Creek-ish type song, but hey, I like it.

The "Rain" Nooma, by Rob Bell. That is, I think, my favorite Nooma. Everytime I reach a period in my life where I'm like, "Wow, I feel really distant from God" or there just feels like there has been a ton of "rain" in my life, I break out this Nooma because it is such an awesome reminder about how God wants us just the way we are. He wants us to come to him broken, our hearts bleeding wide open in front of him, no inhibitions, you know? And that he'll be there whispering, "I love you buddy. We're going to make it. Dad knows the way home."

So is this a fairly thought-filled blog to be posting at 1:30 in the morning...yeah, kind of. And I know that my entries have been a bit more reflective lately...I'll try to write something a bit more light-hearted and comical in the days to come. I'll have to share my car accident/funny politics story as well in the next couple of days.

But in the mean time, I'm going to enjoy the sound of the rain...such a great sound. Thanks for listening to my thoughts on it.

No comments: