10.12.2004

bubbles

I was sitting in the UWM union this morning, thinking about recent conversations I've had with people. I was remembering the other night when the topic of "bubbles" came up. Now, I'm a huge fan of bubbles, so I obviously got excited and suggested the event of blowing bubbles sometime in the near future. Those around me snickered at my childlike behavior, as they should have, but I was dead serious. I love bubbles. Don't know why, I just do. So while I was sitting in the union killing time due to a class that was cancelled, I decided to break out my journal. I began to draw bubbles on the page, and thought, "Wow, it's been a while since I've drawn anything in my journal, and one of the first things I decide to draw is bubbles. How juvenile." However, it was here that I had a bit of a revelation. Yes, it seems as though God can use even the most simple of things to catch my attention (for instance - duck butts - a post from a while back).

As I was drawing these bubbles in my journal, I began to think of the qualities of a bubble. They are extremely delicate, and only last for a few moments. However, they are incredibly beautiful. The have this faint rainbow strewn across them, and are extremely shiney. How fun! But I began to think about the beauty of them in comparison with the time that they last - not very long. They are also so unbelievably delicate. You can't grab onto one. You can't hold it and keep it forever. If you're lucky, one MAY land on you, but it doesn't last for long. It then hit me that this is so often how beauties in life are. God gives us these amazing gifts that are so fragile, so delicate, and we try to grab them and hold on to them for dear life. I have a few situations in my life that are like that right now. I say, "God, this is such a good thing, let me hold on to it!" and I feel as though He's saying, "It's a moment of beauty to let you know I'm here. There will be more to come in the future. But enjoy it for the time being, and then let go." This hit me pretty hard, as I tend to have a REALLY tight grasp on a few things in my life. But they're bubbles...They're delicate, momentary ways that God allows me to experience Him. They are ways for Him to say to me, "I'm here." However, if I begin to hold on to those bubbles, I'll become more intrigued with the bubble, than what it represents. It reminds me of a sermon a friend of mine once gave. He said that so often God gives us handles with which to grasp him with. However, sometimes we fall so in love with the handle, we become completely satisfied with the handle, that we forget what the handle is to.

So, bubbles...A simplistic thing that God used to catch my attention this morning. I think it's awesome how he wires us up to learn things so differently from one another, yet is so faithful to show us himself in all those different arenas. I'm such a visual learner (again, as we learned from the duck butts), and God is constantly faithful to show me through those things.
Rock on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tory, it's me Shell (Warnemuende). In reference to your blog on bubbles, I know what you mean about holding on too tight to something that was not meant to be kept. Not sure what your's are but mine is college. College was the BEST time of my life and I bemoan the fact that i had to graduate. I have been trying to get back in ever since. It is like a club that i was kicked out of. However, College wasn't supposed to be attended forever; it is just a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I have not completely accepted that yet; i'm looking in to grad schools with no real goal/outcome for doing it. I know that it will never be like being a freshman again, stepping on campus for the first time and living in this tight "bubble" community. And if i expect it to be the same, this good memory will then become a tainted reality. Let go of the bubble so that another bubble can land on you. :)

Anonymous said...

Tory - this rocked. I can't believe how awesome this is...thanks so much for sharing. AND I just happened to check out your blog after not doing so since u first told me about it. You share such cool, simple, profound thoughts that everyone can relate to. Actually, this made me cry cause it's so true. Dang it when the pretty bubble pops. Dealing with the aftermath of it sometimes sucks...but just remembering what that bubble was like and then the hope there is more....yeah, cool. Thanks TJ! Love ya lots!!!

Tory Jane said...

Hey...who left me that last post? Not too many people call me TJ! That makes me smile! Thanks to whoever wrote it!