10.25.2004

luggage

Tonight I watched the Nooma entitled "Luggage". For those of you who don't know what a Nooma is, they are these short, 10 minute films that function as mini-sermons. The "preacher" in the Noomas is Rob Bell - a pastor of a church called Mars Hill up in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He has created these artistic ways of looking at life - visually, and scripturally. He presents some amazing thoughts that dig into the fiber of your very being. I have yet to watch a Nooma that did not move me.

Luggage...This Nooma could not have come at a more opportune moment. It's funny how God knows exactly what we need to hear, when we need to hear it and how we need to hear it. I think I could have had every one of my friends tell me exactly what Rob Bell did. But there's something about hearing it from someone completely detatched from the situation that makes it sink in that much deeper. I am having this struggle right now - a battle of self, if you will - in dealing with some issues that are going on in my heart. I have "carried" these feelings and thoughts around with me for so long, that I feel myself becoming exactly what I had vowed I never wanted to be. I have allowed myself to dwell in thoughts that need to be released. I have carried around my luggage for so long, that I almost forget it's luggage, and that it can be left behind. It becomes an appendage, rather than luggage. Such an amazing visual in the Nooma - the idea of luggage. But there is a whole other aspect to the Nooma that I can't really get into because I don't want to ruin it for any of you that want to watch it.
However, I was just feeling very convicted tonight about the things that I hold so tightly too - grudges, anger, rebellion, etc. that God is saying, "Hey. I can take care of it. Let go."

Anybody else dealing with some luggage that seems attached at the hip? :)
Hehehe...Thanks for letting me share. It's not often I have to huge convictions going on at once. Like I said, that God, He's a funny one...knows what we need, when we need it...even if it seems like overload.

But thanks God...for still teaching me.

No comments: