4.18.2006

thirteen

A while back, I decided that every now and then, I would resurrect old "poetry" that I had written. I put the word "poetry" in quotes because, well, what I wrote doesn't necessarily qualify as poetry. Isn't it sad that I'm graduating as an English student and never learned anything about poetry? I never learned about meter, or iambic pentameter, or any of that stuff... The poetry that I wrote from like, age 12 on was basically just random thoughts in my head that weren't in complete sentences. There really wasn't a whole lot of structure to any of them. Sometimes they rhymed, but most of the time they didn't. I don't write "poetry" anymore. I'm not sure why, it just doesn't seem to fulfill me when I write - maybe it's because I'm too wordy.

All that to say, I've decided to resurrect a poem that I wrote when I was 13. Remember, I was 13, so don't mock me TOO much on this. But I thought I would share it with you... It's sad to see that even at 13 I had some dark thoughts. And yet, this poem kind of makes me laugh for many reasons... Anyway, for your enjoyment (or whatever you want to call it):

The Night
By 13-year-old-Tory

When the dark of night shuts down on you
You feel it's the end of your day
Your color is shadowed with the dark of night
And nothing will take it away.
You're used to the gloom, it laughs in your face
You're letting it get you down
When you sink to its lonliness - it's almost got you
You're placing on it's head a crown
Then a beam of light shot through your soul
And you saw the light of day
The night is over, you've made it through
It did not eat you away.
But though you made it through one more night
It made your stomach turn
Tis' morning is here, now all is light
But beware, night will return.

No comments: