12.21.2004

thoughts of the far off

Today, I sat and listened to a man named Marajin talk about the company I work for... I heard what he was saying, but the whole time I was thinking about "Where is his accent from?" I analyzed all the European countries I could think he MIGHT be from, only to find out he was from one I hadn't thought of - the Netherlands. What are the Netherlands like, anyway? And who would have thought he was from there - I mean, how often do you hear someone do a "Netherlands" accent? Not very recognizable... Anyway, a few weeks ago, my professor was talking about a trip to Spain that he's leading this summer - SPAIN! Could you imagine? In a few weeks he's also taking a group of people to England and Ireland. Just today I learned about a friend of mine from high school who taught in China and is now going BACK to China to teach. The other day I was listening to Sigur Ros - a band from Iceland - wondering what Iceland would be like? There is so much out there... And I've seen so little of it. I have been realizing lately that not only do I own a desire to move out of the house, I also desire to live in a different country. Call it a huge desire to travel, but I can't stand the fact that there is so much of the world to see, and I've only seen a mere fraction of it. And I don't want to just see it for a week. Or two weeks. Part of me had a moment of panic... "God, does this mean I need to become a missionary?" I'm not sure though that if that WERE the case that I'd be a missionary in the traditional sense. Who's to say I couldn't move to New Zealand, pursue some sort of "career" (whatever that may be), get to know people and start a house church that way. Or move to Ireland (ha, that'd be a challenge) or Thailand. Who knows... I don't even have a specific place in mind. I've just had my mind in places that are not here. I'm not even sure where God would lead me. But it's kind of cool to think that once I graduate from school, anything is fair game... Cool thought. Who knows. Maybe one year from today, from this exact post, I'll be telling you I'm moving to Austrailia. Or Iceland. Or Beliz. Good to think about. Fun times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tory
Think on this. How did the Netherlands come to be called that, when one ancient term for Hell was the Netherworld, or Netherland?
What was someone trying to tell us about those people?

Bart Scott
havana_dreamer@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Chris, here:
You're always welcome in Canada. We're foreign. I have a friend from the Netherlands (or, Holland, as I call it). She's nice. Funny name. I wouldn't go. Too permissive a society. I get disgusted with the path my own country is taking in that regard.