6.22.2006

brothels


As I wandered through Blockbuster, I scanned the "New Release" section hoping to find a good movie for the evening. I toyed with the idea of getting a cheesy flick - just for fun. For a moment I thought "Kicking and Screaming" might bring me a few laughs, but decided I'd rather go with something a little bit smarter. I passed by numerous flicks that I've been wanting to see for a while - "Syriana" and "Munich" because I was afraid they'd be a little too heavy. However, I then came across a movie entitled "Born Into Brothels." What I didn't realize until I searched for the above picture is that this film won "Best Documentary" at the Oscars. I hadn't even heard of it - just saw it sitting on the shelf, and was intrigued by the name and picture. The name made me a little nervous to begin with, but this picture, the cover picture, is what captured me.

"Born Into Brothels" is a documentary about children born in the red light district in Calcutta, and what sorts of lives they lead. A woman by the name of Zana Briski decides to live in the brothels, getting to know the women and their children. She decides to teach the children about photography, and how to see the world. She gives each one of them a camera, and then sends them out to take pictures. They bring them in, develop them, and critique them. Together, they learn to experience life and truth through the lens.

This movie was brilliant. The storyline in this film is beautiful...moving. I was taken by each of these children, specifically a young girl named Puja. The pictures they took were fantastic. Briski took the children's photos to New York and had an auction to raise money for them. She had hopes of getting them out of the brothels, and into a boarding school - their one chance to escape a life "in the line."

My heart was broken and yet inspired at the same time. This film was a beautiful depiction of seeing what lies beneath. I'm saddened by the fact that I never would have imagined such beauty existed in brothels.

If you have the opportunity to check out this movie, and you like documentaries, I highly recommend it. It's a little tough to watch in spots, but it's definitely worth it.

www.kids-with-cameras.com/calcutta

2 comments:

Joshua Longbrake said...

good recommendation. i'll see the film soon...and if it's awful then i'm blaming you.

Anonymous said...

hi, i have seen the movie too, and just like you it was a chance viewing. i was skipping through the channels and one of them was showing the movie. i had nothing better to do so i just watched.
its a wonderful movie, i never knew such telent could exist in such place. and maybe i never think about it before. but yeah, born into brothel opens your eyes in many ways.