6.19.2006

awake


Today I'm reflecting on the weekend I just spent with 350 junior high students. I work for an organization called Sonlife Ministries, and they are launching two new events this summer: Awake, which is for junior high students and Merge, which is for senior high students. I could write about the vast array of thoughts that pulsed through my brain over the weekend, all the things I experienced, all the amazing people I spent time with, and all the great things that happened. But I think the greatest thing I learned this weekend is how to approach God. This weekend, I witnessed uninhibited, dancing, screaming, joyful teenagers reaching out for whatever it was God wanted to give them. As these students learned about God's love for creation throughout all of history - starting with Adam and Eve, through the creation of the church, to our present existence, and even about his love that will extend into future, I saw a sense of wonder, awe, and excitement for God and what he wants to do in the world... and it was brilliant.

These students were challenged to look at how they love the community and as well as the globe - and they took the challenge head on. I was blown away by the amounts of creativity and passion coming out of these students minds and hearts. It was humbling to see students who were so new to their faith being excited about what God could do through them. Here were 12-14 year olds, confident that God could use them. And there I sat, a 26 year old girl, ashamed I didn't have the same confidence.

This weekend provided me with many challenges and many opportunities for growth. My brain is swirling with the many different things I experienced and felt over the weekend. But I'm excited to see how things continue. I just picked up "The Irresistable Revolution" by Shane Claiborne and I can already feel my soul starting to stir. I have no idea what's next... I can only pray it's transformational.

To what's ahead...

No comments: