3.30.2005

storms

Laying on my back in my shadowed room, I looked past my silhouetted feet which were propped in my half-opened window, to watch the storm emerge outside. Brief moments of illumination revealed my quiet and still neighborhood. There's something so comforting in the sounds of storms - the rain rattling on the roof, the slight buzzing of the dampened power lines, the low rumbling in the distance... All these sounds, which independently would not be as beautiful, slip through my window with great ease. I absolutely love storms. I could sit for hours and just soak it all in. I remember a few years ago, how I would play in the rain. My roommates and I - no inhibitions, no cares at all - would take off, full force and just run through the rain. I can honestly say, those nights were some of my favorites. Nothing mattered. It was as if the rain had some sort of magic, some sort of shield to anyone and anything that might interfer with our night of rain dancing. I miss those days. But for now, I'll simply enjoy the beginning of spring nights, which only promise more storms to come.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I miss storms so much! We don't get thunder or lightning out here :( You describe it well. Miss you!

Katy