3.28.2005

ben, nik, jon & james...

and the soundtrack of life. That was the FULL title of my blog, but it didn't all fit on the subject line.

Ben. He's my Film & Literature professor. His 5 year old daughter has spring break this week so he brought her to class. Mya. He kept smiling and winking at her. He introduced her to the class. He helped her get a drink from the water fountain, and walked hand in hand with her down the hall. If I thought he was cool before, this just solidified it for me.

Nik. He's my environmental geography professor. Even on the first day of class, he impressed me with his humor. I'm a sucker for humor. I love the fact that while he has a very definite stance on issues (he's a tree hugger, for sure), he presents both cases, and gives viable reasons for each side of the story. He never forces his beliefs on anyone, and likes to ask questions, leaving things unanswered... And every now and then, he'll point at some poor victim, say, "Yes... You!" in hopes they'll give him an answer, even though they weren't raising their hand. Hasn't worked yet.

Jon. What a nutty professor. He's always a bit discombobulated when he comes to class. Always has his iPod going - I wonder what he listens to? But he's kind of a crazy guy... He's my civil disobedience professor, and is SUPER creative in his assignments. We wrote an intellectual dialogues paper in which I wrote a conversation between MLK Jr., Gandhi, and Thoreau. We created "protest posters" and our final project is actually generating a protest campaign. Way to make things interesting, ProfK! He's cool.

James. They don't get any more interesting than James. He's gotta have a millions stories. I'm serious... This guy has probably seen so many things in his lifetime. Fitzgerald and Hemmingway is what he teaches, and he's in total awe of these writers. He's a writer himself - short fiction I think. But when was the last time you got to visit your local Harry W. Schwartz, listen to a guy who's in his early sixties, wearing a red flannel shirt and a pair of jeans, reading Jack Kerouac's "On The Road" while his buddy amazes everyone on the saxaphone? I like James... He's make a cool grandfather.

The soundtrack of life... I had a weird moment today. I was walking on campus with my iPod plugged into my ears. Now, I listen to music all the time, but this was different. As I walked around on campus, songs would come on and I felt as though I had a soundtrack. Have you ever had those moments that you thought, "This song would be perfect to be playing in that background." Well, that's what happened today, and I wasn't even trying! It was kind of creepy actually... I'd be walking around thinking about something and a song would come on that related. I was journaling at one point too, when another song came on that was perfectly fitting. CREEPY. But slick none the less...

Good profs. Good music.
These were the thoughts of the day.

No comments: