1.31.2008

being

“If you would create something, you must be something.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This quote scares me. A lot.

For the past year or so, I’ve been on the “hunt” for inspiration. In the very conversation that led to this “quote series” of blog entries, my friend and I also talked about inspiration – what inspires us and drives us to create. Both of us like to consider ourselves “artists,” and compared the ways in which we feel inspired. My friend is inspired by other people’s creations – when he sees a photo he likes, reads a challenging book, sees a well-crafted movie, or hears a quote that resonates well with him, he is inspired to create. I, on the other hand, am typically inspired by nature – the ocean, a beautiful sunset, a crazy storm… I am also inspired by really good conversations, and watching human interaction. I explained to my friend that for the past year, I’ve felt uninspired – I’ve been looking, and finding little to none.

However, if I fall back on this quote – that in order to create something, I must be something – it seems as though inspiration may be spurred on by who I am, not what I experience. Sounds a bit narcissistic, but track with me here…

I realize that unless I’m God (which clearly I am not), that my creation – whether it be a piece of writing, a photograph, a painting, a piano melody, etc. – has to come from somewhere… And that it’s very possible the things mentioned above can trigger my desire to create. However, I cannot create from nothing. What if, in actuality, we create from who we are – not what we experience. I create because I am a lover of beauty (nature), or because I am a lover of thought, or a lover of people, or because I was designed to reflect a creator… Maybe it’s who I am, how I was designed, and what I’m being, that is the pure force behind what I create.

This brought me back to my journey for inspiration… What if I’m looking for the wrong things? What if it’s easier for me to place my faith in things like the ocean, or my little friends from the Mission, or a girl talking about selling an organ to get an iPod – what if it’s easier for me to place my faith in these things, than it is to look at who I am for inspiration? The things I just listed are separate from who I am and what I’m “being” – things that can very easily disappear and no longer exist. I’ve blamed those missing things for my “lack of inspiration,” that because I no longer work at the Mission, because it’s winter and I can’t sit down by the lakefront, or because I’ve become a bit of a hermit who doesn’t seem to engage in really good conversations anymore, I don’t have any “inspiration”? What if I don’t like who I’m “being” and what if my creation reflects that? I’d much rather create something that reflects beauty, intrigue, and love than I would all the messy places of my soul I so desperately try to hide.

I welcome any thoughts you have on the topic… My goal here is not to make it sound as if everything I create (or we as a collective whole) is based solely on myself and who I am. What I’m saying is that what if who we are, and what we’re striving to be, are the real drivers behind our creativity? I think that for me, it’s made me realize that maybe I should stop trying so hard to find inspiration, and figure out what it is that makes Tory, Tory… and how I can share that with the rest of the world through my creations.

After all… we are all a part of one big story, all of us – our lives, our creations -bringing beauty (even in its ugliness) to the ancient story.

Thoughts… please…

No comments: