2.06.2007

shoot

I love to shoot pictures. I've always been into looking at photographs, and have even tried my hand at taking them. My love for photography started in high school when I first came across Scott Mutter's photography. I loved how he spliced photos together. I took a class in college, trying to awaken the photographer within me, but mostly, I ended up taking more goofy pictures than anything. These days, I seem to be into it quite a bit more. Unfortunately, I don't have the greatest equipment, or the most patience in the world. However, every now and then, you just gotta push past all the negatives in hopes of gaining something positive. Such was the case on Sunday.

My friend Simon and I have been doing this self-portrait project now for roughly 30 days. We're only 1/12 of the way into it. However, there have been a couple times where Simon has challenged me to other photo endeavors. We did one a couple of weeks ago where we had 5 minutes with our camera to shoot as many photos we could of whatever we wanted. We then had 1 hour to process them (using whatever Photoshop tools we desired) and then had to post them to our Flickr site. It was an interesting project... I didn't realize how hard it would be to shoot really good shots in only 5 minutes. But it was a lot of fun, and I feel I learned a bit.

Sunday was another day for a photo project. Originally, our other partner in crime - Johanna - was supposed to join us, but ended up not being able to. We were supposed to do a photo walk outside in downtown Milwaukee, but seeing as how it was below zero, we decided to stay indoors. Because we couldn't really think of a good location to shoot indoors, we decided to take pictures where we work.

At first, I found it a little challenging to think creatively about the place I see every single day, 40 hours a week. Looking at all the offices, the classrooms, the floors I have to sweep and mop, the hallways I have to vacuum... it's hard to imagine how these places can be artistic.

But, after a while, I started to get into it a little bit more. It turned out to be a fairly fun photo shoot, and I got a couple pictures I liked.

Here are some of the photos I got:














No comments: