2.22.2007

joy, part whatever


I've done this numerous times before, but I think it's a healthy ritual. Over the past couple of weeks, I've really been struggling with a lot of different things. Some of them are legitimate, and are allowed genuine emotion. And some of these things I've just taken too seriously, and have gotten way too bent out of shape over.

Sometimes it's so easy for me, in the midst of my emotions, struggles, fears, frustrations, etc. to forget about all the things in life I have to be joyful about. There are so many things around me that I'm blessed to have, and I so easily take them for granted.

So, in order to help me sort of put things in perspective, and in looking towards changing my demeanor and attitude as of late, I've listed 25 things that I take joy in. These are not the obvious things I have to be joyful about (having shelter, food to eat, clothing to wear, air to breath), but rather the small, unique things that happen... the stuff that's easy to miss at times.

Here we go... yet another "joys" list...


1. "Polkabats and Octopus Slacks" - one of my favorite children's books
2. hugs from Tina... and just hugs in general!
3. naps
4. getting to see the greatest little kids in the world every single day
5. sidewalk chalk - I can't wait until it gets warmer!
6. holga cameras
7. mid-afternoon Scrabble games at a coffee shop
8. coffee (it gets it's own slot)
9. friends who tell me their baking a pie at 9 in the morning
10. hearing stories about the Lazarus house
11. watching my brother's unusual creative endeavors (usually involving Drew)
12. reminscing about childhood
13. swings
14. watching Elijah and Meira Kalbas grow up
15. finding tulips on your desk when you get to work
16. fun, pop-punk music
17. meeting random, but warm and accepting strangers
18. banana pancakes
19. catching up with old friends over Jimmy Johns
20. brainstorms
21. photo projects (365, 5 min, cream city walks)
22. turtles... cause really, they're just too cute. I miss Tripod.
23. driving in the car, windows down, listening to good tunes
24. going for walks at night... Seriously, one of my favorite things in the world.
25. deep conversations with good friends about life

No comments: