11.11.2006

kids


Recently, I have been thinking about my job and how much I love the kids that I work with. There are times where I don't know how I feel about my job, but it's the kids that make it totally worthwhile. Seriously, the times I get to interact with them are so special. I absolutely love when I get the "Miss Tory, come here I want to tell you something!" and get a whispered secret. Or a little hand that slips into mine. Or getting to read a book with them, teach them Bible verses, or just play with them. I cherish the moments I get to spend with them.

However, there are also times when it's really hard. There are times when I hear stories of how tough their loves are - the things they have to see at such a young age, the things they have to hear, experience... things they shouldn't have to face at such a young age. So many of them are asked to grow up way too quickly. And some of them don't have a lot of the conveniences we have either. I recently got ringworm - kinda gross, I know. But I was thinking about what I had to pay to treat it. Granted, it seemed somewhat cheap to me. Being without insurance, I was glad I didn't have to pay $60-80 for a doctor's appointment. However, it made me wonder how many families that I work with couldn't even afford to pay what I did for treatment, and how many kids have to go without treatment.

There are times where I find myself wanting to help them all... I want to make sure they have food to eat, good clothes to wear, and maybe even a few toys so they can enjoy their childhood while they have it. But I know I can't help them all... I don't have the means to provide for them all...

But that is why I LOVE the fact that I get to spend time with them. I love the fact that I can give them hugs, pat them on the back, and hold their hands - even if it means that I get ringworm. I love the fact that I can help them learn their numbers, their letters, how to say please and thank you, and even give them a little bit of structure. I've realized that even though I can't provide for them with tangible items, that I can love them to pieces and let them know what great kids they are.

Yay for kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, Tory - and I love how you are changing the world for these kids. Keep strong!

a.Do