2.12.2006

anonymous

I've been thinking a lot more about the whole "anonymous" trend that seems to be all over the blogosphere. I read my fair share of blogs on a daily basis, and obviously have a blog of my own. And I've noticed that "anonymous" seems to pop up everywhere. Here are a few observations I've made about "anonymous."

1.) What they have to say never seems to be neutral - there's always a twinge of sarcasm, flirtation, bitterness, silliness, or they just out right take pot shots. I rarely read a post by "anonymous" that simply says, "Well put." or "I'm not sure I understand." "I agree." or "I disagree". Usually, what they have to say is loaded with something other than what your average joe has to say.

2.) They have a lot of free time. I'd be curious to find this out, but sometimes I will read actual CONVERSATIONS between "anonymous". Are they one in the same, answering their own questions? (See my "Words" post comments) Probably not, but wow, there's a lot of them.

3.) They want something. A reaction. An apology. An explanation. A blog entry that is molded to their every interest. Typically, their comments invoke something. Granted, most "comments," anonymous or not, invoke something. Just seems that most of the "anonymous" comments are more than just conversational.

I have a few more thoughts on "anonymous", but I think that's enough for now because I wanted to write a couple thoughts on why I think people might post "anonymously".

1.) One reason, which I think may actually be pretty valid, is that your name gets attached to what you've said. I remember once being with a friend, and we decided to Google our names to see what different things came up, and who else we shared a name with. I found a comment I had left on a band's website a while ago (Born On Sunset - small band from Cali). Granted, I didn't leave anything I regret, I just found it interesting. And I've heard that a new trend within the business world is that sometimes after an interview, they will Google a candidate's name to see what they find... So part of me wonders if people just don't want to responsibility of standing behind what they write because of what sorts of consequences could come from it.

2.) Freedom. If the scriber's name is not attached to the comment, they won't be held to it - that my friends, provides a tremendous amount of freedom. They can say whatever their little heart desires, and no one will come knocking on their door.

3.) They're lazy. It takes all of 10 seconds to change the little circle from "anonymous" to be able to type in one's name. That's all. Not that hard. No account to sign up for (like blogger used to have). It's pretty simple. Therefore, I'd like to think it's a little bit of laziness.

4.) They have split personalities, and can't commit to one.

5.) The cling tightly to their mysterious personnae and refuse to ever give up their identity because being anything less than mysterious is simply out of the question.

6.) Their a CIA agent. Enough said.

Those are just a few of my thoughts on the whole "anonymous" trend. Where would be without "annonymous?" My guess is we'd have a world full of alter-egos if the "anonymous" button was every taken away.

Anybody else have any thoughts on "anonymous"?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

truly insightful. and long.

Holly o:) said...

Hehe, bringing in the movie references, I love it Emily!
I think also if you post something as anonymous and you have a negative comment to make, you feel more distant from your own comment, and you aren't as worried about what other people might think, as opposed to if they read your comment and knew exactly who it was that said it.
Just my opinion, but I was rather impressed with the 24 comments under your "Words" post! (Even if a lot of it was gibberish!)

Anonymous said...

Your #5 gave me an idea to share with you. Think about blogging anonymously. At least, then, the mystery of it all would encourage me to actually make it through one of your entries.

Anonymous said...

Holly,

Gibberish!?

Oh you must me referencing the words of the anonymous wanna-bee. I'm sure you were not talking about mine.

Tory,

This post is like an ice cream truck in the park. All of us anonymous kids can't avoid its attraction.

E