5.28.2005

remembering

This week seems to be about remembering...

Sunday we said goodbye to our friend and youth pastor at my church. He had resigned, and we were having a farewell party for him. Lots and lots of pictures. Lots and lots of memories. And I saw a lot of people who I haven't seen in a long time... It was great.

On Tuesday, I attended a Brewers Game. Brewers vs. Colorado Rockies. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of either team, or even a fan of baseball really... However, I felt a bit nostalgic because the Colorado Rockies used to be my friend Nate's favorite baseball team in junior high. I've known Nate since I was three. Today, I attended his wedding. Surrounding him at the wedding were a whole slew of friends from my past - some of them I known since I was in diapers, some of them were my best friends. It was a great day for reminscing and remembering all the amazing times we had together. I feel truly honored and blessed to have had them all as a part of my life, and it was great remembering with them today.

Wednesday, I was driving a friend of mine down to Lake Geneva. Before we even had a chance to leave town, we were sitting at a stoplight and this younger guy was walking across the intersection. As he drew closer to my car, I informed my friend that I knew him. Him name is Eric, and he used to live down the street from me - two streets down, on Indianwood Lane. He used to have a bright yellow old school Volkwagon Beetle convertable that he'd work on. As he passsed by my car, he waved... I'm not entirely sure if the wave was due to the fact that we were staring at him or that he remembered me. Either way, it made my day.

Monday is Memorial Day - a day to remember soldiers that we've lost. Soldiers who have fought and served their country so that we can enjoy the freedoms we do today. On Monday, I have been been invited to a picnic at the Witmer household to remember Michelle, who died serving her country. It will be a tough day as Michelle is greatly missed... but I'm sure it will be a day to celebrate her beautiful life, and remember her for the way she lived it.

Lots and lots of memories. Lots and lots of nostalgia. Some of it really good and cathartic. Some of it really hard and sad. It's so crazy how God designed us with such emotions and abilities. I'm grateful for them though. It makes life all the richer.

6 comments:

Parke said...

Hi,
Don't believe we've spoken but I wanted to say that I appreciated your article, Song of Silence. I've been reading Henri Nouwen's The Way of the Heart and I've been impressed by a similar need to make time for silence. The article was an encouraging reminder of its value. Thanks.

Parke

Anonymous said...

I just rec'd an email from Relevant - and the lead article was about a girl who drove from WI to CA. I thought it has to be Tory. How cool Tory! Congrats!

Looks like things are going well in the writing dept.

How does it feel?
John

christine said...

Tori, I just read your Song of Silence and loved it. Truly I am in this season. I am alittle older than you-and single---have many hours of solitude, and now am more in love with that than the music of the world. I hear God in the wonder of the silence. Bless you and your words and the call on your life.

Ruth said...

Tory Dolan?! No way... It's Ruth Arnell, from Heritage. Every time I drive past Blackhawk Trail I think of you! I finally read the Relevant email I got a few days ago and thought how ironic it was to read a post about someone making that drive since I'm making it myself later this summer when I move to CA. I got to the bottom and saw it was written by you and cracked the biggest smile I've had on all week! Sorry to get back to you this way- not terribly familiar with blogger; probably a better place to leave messages. Anyway- it was great to read your article, an interesting read. Hope all is going well for you. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Hello.
I just wanted to drop you a line stating that I really did enjoy and appreciate your "Song of Silence". Such truth, such insight. Really appreciated as well as enjoyed. Perhaps silence is the song of Heaven... cudos.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tory - my name is Sarah and I too read your article that came through Relevant magazine's e-mail. Recently, God has impressed upon my life the need to "be still" before Him, to seek hearing and listening to His voice in the silences; rather than try to add more distraction to my life.
I pray God will continue to bless and encourage your life and heart!