8.30.2006

starving jesus


It was a gorgeous day. The sky was bright blue, barely any clouds in the sky, the sun was shining and the weather was in the mid-70s. It was the perfect day to head to the beach, or take a walk outside, and enjoy the perfect day that God had created. And that’s exactly what I did. I spent the day in the sun, in a neighborhood known for drug deals, gang activity, and prostitution. It was glorious!

My friends Katee and Mark are on staff with an organization called The Lazarus House, which also happened to be the location for day 25 of the Starving Jesus Tour lead by Craig Gross (of XXXchurch.com and author of “Dirty Little Secret”) and JR Mahon. The goal of the Starving Jesus tour was to challenge churches to get out of the pews, and out into the community. And that’s exactly what the Lazarus House does.

The Lazarus House considers itself a "going" ministry. Rather than expecting people to come to some beautiful building, or attend amazingly constructed church services, they go out into the neighborhood, meet kids and families on the streets surrounding the Lazarus house, build relationships with them, and serve them in whatever way they can. They have a summer program called wRap Kidz where kids learn about being wrapped in Jesus arms of love. During the afternoon prior to Craig & JR's message, we met with the children of wRap Kids for what could have been called their "summer finale." There were hot dogs and hamburgers, games, face painting, and fun for all. The day provided some fun (and a bit of a distraction) from homes that are abusive, homes that are often low on food, and in some cases, homes they don’t even want to return to. This is the case with one little boy who ended up stealing my heart. As I headed down to this unknown and slightly dangerous neighborhood, I prayed for God to show me something new - to open my eyes to something I had never seen before. And open my eyes he did... through a six-year-old little boy.

I met this little boy early on in the afternoon. He often hangs out at the Lazarus house just to avoid going home, which happens to be a crack house. During times where he cannot be at the Lazarus House, this little six-year-old wanders the street alone. He wears a tattered pair of shoes, which also look about two sizes too small. He rides a tiny skateboard around with no padding whatsoever. But he has the biggest heart of any six-year-old I’ve ever met. He helped me create a sign that would be used later in the evening, and it didn't take very long before he had captured my own heart. Later on in day, I was helping with "Inflatable Bowling,” and he was helping me set-up the pins after each kid had taken their turn. At one point, I said, "Thanks so much for helping me! You're awesome at this, and I couldn't have done it without you! You're such a great helper!" He simply said, "I know. It’s what I do."

That thought stuck with me the rest of the day and I can’t seem to shake it. He said, "I know, that's what I do” as if it was silly of me to have recognized his help. It was almost as if he had said, "Why WOULDN'T I be helping?" It seemed like such a no-brainer to him to be helping. Often times, I wonder why we as Christians, when it comes to reaching out to our community, serving the poor and the oppressed - don't say, "It's what I do” or “Why WOULDN'T I be helping?"

My heart was challenged by the simplicity of his statement. Without thinking, without complaining, without looking for recognition, he saw a need and he jumped in. As I tried to set up 3-foot, inflatable pins, hold kid’s ice cream, and attempt to keep some order, this little boy saw that I could use some help – and jumped in immediately, without even being asked. It was a no-brainer to him. How often is it a “no-brainer” for me when it comes to helping? It is so easy for me to create reasons why I can’t or shouldn't help. It’s too dangerous. I don’t have time. I don’t know how. What if I fail? But this six year old showed me that it should be “what I do.”

I watched as my friends Katee and Mark, the directors Ron and Donna and the rest of the interns who work at Lazarus house shared every ounce of love they had inside, and gave everything they have to these kids. I was absolutely amazed by their willingness to give, and to see them living the way God designed us to live. I walked away from my day spent outside amidst God’s creation – and spending time with God’s creations - with new eyes, and a challenge to get out of my own pew, and into the community.

[For more information on the Starving Jesus Tour, check out www.starvingjesus.com.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how kids open doors & windows we close as we grow older, in something as simple as this child sayin," why wouldn't I help" we can see how Jesus said the Kingdom belongs to such as these..